Talk

Advanced search

Is there such a thing as a cat that won't cover my house in fur?

(10 Posts)
Mallowmarshmallow Mon 17-Apr-17 08:17:28

Not a bald one....

We are at the in laws, my 3.5 year old would love a cat. I would hate the fur...!

HurricaneHalle Mon 17-Apr-17 08:19:34

IME cats, unless a house cat, don't overly shed around the house.

HotelEuphoria Mon 17-Apr-17 08:24:05

I have had cats all my life, currently have three. They don't leave hair all over at all, they do shed more at this time of year when they lose their winter coats but there is only usually evidence of fur on their bedding. I wash these weekly.

Mallowmarshmallow Mon 17-Apr-17 08:29:52

Really? Ok, in laws cats are indoor cats....

silkpyjamasallday Mon 17-Apr-17 08:43:59

I don't think you will find one that won't shed fur, people become oblivious to it after living with it for a while, I'm allergic to cats and even a tiny bit on clothes sets me off, in houses with cats I'm a swollen eyed, scratchy throated sneezing mess in minutes.

Patienceisvirtuous Mon 17-Apr-17 08:53:34

Cats = fur.

I don't think you should get one for your 3.5 yo - they're pets not toys - and require work/responsibility.

Consider one as an addition to the family, who's wellbeing you need to take seriously by all means.

(I'm not trying to be an arse by the way... I work in animal rescue and reading 'fur will be inconvenient and the cat is for my toddler' rings alarm bells)

GinAndTunic Mon 17-Apr-17 08:57:12

Sphinxes are famously hairless. They are odd-looking but have fantastic personalities.

Hulder Mon 17-Apr-17 08:57:34

Short haired cat, outdoors - get used to the hair.

It's not on a level of dog hair but there is hair.

DH came from an animal-hating family and used to fuss about there being hair everywhere. I honestly hadn't noticed unless they fall asleep on my clothes. He's currently in bed with 2 cats sat on him and hasn't mentioned cat hair in about a year grin

Toddlerteaplease Tue 02-May-17 12:33:55

My long haired cat's aren't to bad. Their fur doesn't stick in the same way as shorthairs. I had one of my black cats sitting in my white trousers last year with no problem. They tend to shed in clumps that you just pick up. I was very surprised that it's easier to deal with than short.

mishchan01 Thu 11-May-17 12:42:47

I have a Siberian Forest cat, despite him being a long hair cat, he desn't shed that much of hair. The breed is also super friendly and loves children too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now