Talk

Advanced search

Help to stop our cats scratching our new sofa!

(4 Posts)
Johno85 Tue 11-Apr-17 08:29:38

This is the first new sofa we have ever bought and it arrived yesterday. The cats wouldn't go near it initially; wake up this morning to see they've already had ago at one of the corners (very sad face).

They already have a scratching post which they use daily; we've just bought some catnip spray to make it even more appealing (more so than the sofa) but I wondered whether anyone else had any tips that worked for them. There are so many products online with mixed reviews.

I know cats don't function like dogs, and telling them off is futile! For now we've also put double-sided tape along the corners and arms while we're at work in the day; ideally I don't want to restrict them from the lounge as we've stopped them going in the bedroom in preparation for our new baby due in July.

Any ideas or experience would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Dailymaildailyfail Tue 11-Apr-17 08:32:04

I've had same issue- even with a massive scratching post they still go for my sofa. I took to having nice throws over the arms so that my cat physically cannot get to it. It took a few months but now he ignores it and goes to his post instead. I think it's sometimes the fact it's a new thing to scratch, and you just need to break the habit before it begins!

Johno85 Tue 11-Apr-17 10:21:57

Thanks DailyMail- we talked about putting a throw over each arm but they love anything that is "ours" (which means they assume it belongs to them too lol) so I'm worried they will just pull it off. I guess it going to be trial and error. Hopefully they'll lose interest soon!

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Fri 26-May-17 19:52:22

I sprayed ours with Impulse deodorant!! Kept them away!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now