Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is this a suitable hamster cage?

(14 Posts)
WickerLoveHearts Sat 01-Apr-17 19:41:59

I have had a hamster since February, a lovely little Syrian boy. He's in a cage that had a platform and some tubes but the other week DP accidentally broke the platform. It has made me realise how small the cage is and I feel mean for making him live there! It doesn't really fit in his things. So I've found one online which I think is nice as it has a big deep tank he can burrow in and also a wire section.
Can anyone help me with what are the pros and cons of the tank part? He is in front of the window so has a nice view but will it make the tank too hot? We have an East facing bedroom so get the sun in the morning/day.
Does the tank get enough air? I would worry it would get stuffy and need changing a lot more.
Will he miss his tubes? He likes to sleep in them sometimes but not as much now he's getting bigger (another reason I want to change cages).
Also does he need anything else in his cage? He has a food bowl, water dropper, flying saucer (wheel alternative), house, tubes, wooden carrot (on the side of the cage) and a wooden orange (on the floor).

Any help will be appreciated! This is the cage I want to buy:
https://m.petplanet.co.uk/p12242/savic_habitat_hamster_cage.aspx

WickerLoveHearts Sat 01-Apr-17 19:42:10

m.petplanet.co.uk/p12242/savic_habitat_hamster_cage.aspx

AuntMatilda Sat 01-Apr-17 19:46:06

Sand bath!

I can't tell the size of the cage..Size is most important-most cages marketed for hamsters are atrocious in how small they are for an animal who will be 'designed' to run 5-6 miles per night. Buy the largest you can afford if you want a happy chilled out hammy smile
I wouldn't say he needs the tank part. I would have thought that better for a gerbil.

WickerLoveHearts Sat 01-Apr-17 19:55:49

I did think about a sand bath but as you can probably tell I didn't have enough room! I will defininately find one big enough! The cage is
H - 52
W - 52
D - 26

I will look for one with no tank then, maybe just one with lots of platforms? He likes to be high up

WickerLoveHearts Sat 01-Apr-17 20:20:40

Is this any better? www.portonaquapet.co.uk/Townhouse-Hamster-Cage-42x29x38cm-M59834

I found another I like but it has wooden floors and ladders which according to the reviews take ages to dry after cleaning and I worry my hamster would chew them/wee would soak into the wood.

SpearmintTea Sat 13-May-17 23:31:43

One of my son's hamsters is in a detolf cage; she loves to run around and likes lots of space. The other one prefers a more enclosed space and has a smaller cage from pets at home (although it's the largest they sell) I'd be reluctant to use anything smaller.

TheFairyCaravan Sat 13-May-17 23:36:11

This is what my hamster lives in. It's huge. He loves it.

SpareChangeDownTheSofa Sat 13-May-17 23:41:04

Your best bet is an empty fish tank (as big as you can get) then get a mesh top for it. You can get them second hand for cheaper than any of those new, tiny cages.

Ginfiend Sat 13-May-17 23:43:26

i second fishtank!

barrygetamoveonplease Sat 13-May-17 23:46:33

I third fishtank.

Feckers would be out of your chosen cage through the bars (they flatten right out, do hamsters) and they could scratch/gnaw through plastic given enough time.

DropZoneOne Sun 14-May-17 00:04:13

Another vote for the Barney! Use plastikote on the wood to protect it against hamster wee.

It's better to have as large a floor space as possible.

BetsyTheBee Sun 14-May-17 08:31:14

Thanks everyone, I bought this one not long after I started the thread www.littlepetwarehouse.co.uk/products/the-langham-tall-rat-and-hamster-cage-with-two-floors-black.html
My hamster loves his new home and he's always having a stretch and wander. I didn't use any of the stuff they supplied except the food bowls as the wheel wasn't the flying saucer type and the house was tiny compared to his current one. He paces a lot less and seems to sleep better too. I can also fit more toys in which he obviously doesn't play with because he's a little shit who likes to just climb the bars instead grin.
Also he doesn't care for the fact the floors are wooden and only chewed it once to see what it was and hasn't been interested since.

BetsyTheBee Sun 14-May-17 08:34:40

I've also name changed since this thread to' sorry I am the OP!

Also forgot to say: the new cage's top level means hammy can see out the window too, I think he was quite shocked when he first looked out and realised how big everything was!

BetsyTheBee Sun 14-May-17 09:58:54

I've jinxed it: my hammy got stuck in the window to his house I think he mistook it for the door, he got stuck half in and half out, I got a pretty bad bite trying to help, he's out now but I'm worried he's hurt, just seems stressed, can't really inspect him as he doesn't like being picked up and would panic more. He's chewing the bars and seems to be walking okay I'm just still really worried!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now