We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My thirsty cat.

(9 Posts)
Lilybensmum1 Mon 27-Mar-17 21:46:45

Hi, just wanted some opinions on my dcat she is 6 years old and for the last few days is constantly in the sink or bath wanting water, we put fresh water down daily and she mainly eats a wet diet, she vomits occasionally and goes off her food, this lasts a few days then she is back to normal and repeats the whole drinking vomiting and back to normal.

Any ideas I'm really hoping it's not kidneys she seems well otherwise
No weight loss, I guess maybe the vet??

Apocalyptichorsewoman Tue 28-Mar-17 06:45:28

Cats can also get diabetes, so I would definitely go to the vets

Mermaidinthesea Tue 28-Mar-17 07:01:18

My cat has done this for years, has had every test under the sun yet is normal.
However it cdould be a sign of diabetes so get it checked out.

Lazyjane76 Tue 28-Mar-17 07:09:13

Same symptoms led to my cat being diagnosed with diabetes, worth getting it checked. If it is, don't panic - it really is manageable.

DumbledoresApprentice Tue 28-Mar-17 07:13:23

It can indicate kidney trouble or diabetes. Take her to the vet.

Lilybensmum1 Tue 28-Mar-17 16:24:48

Bugger it does sound like diabetes, does anyone know how its treated in animals? Also we do not have pet insurance, if it's insulin treatment I'm guessing that's costly. Right will get her to the vets she is such a lovely cat my DC will be distraught if something happens to her.

Thank you for all the replies.

KinkyDoritowithsparkleson Tue 28-Mar-17 16:43:31

I have a renal failure cat - it started with him drinking lots of water.

Wolfiefan Tue 28-Mar-17 16:45:59

Can also be an indicator of thyroid issues I think? Not sure n

SecretWitch Tue 28-Mar-17 16:52:51

Please get her checked quickly. My beloved black kitty developed a water fetish and lost weight quickly. I suspected diabetes. He actually has feline renal disease. He gets a daily IV and some meds mixed into his food. He was pretty sick for awhile but has gained back the weight. He tolerates the IV ok ( we wrap him in a blanket) He gets to visit our lovely vet on a frequent basis but he is holding his own for now ( knock wood)

Sending good thoughts to your sweet kitty. Let us know the outcome 💐💐

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now