Talk

Advanced search

What to do with our dog?

(20 Posts)
user1490375610 Fri 24-Mar-17 18:03:02

Our dog has always been a bit unruley. Growling and snapping at people when they are too close and he doesn't want them to be. He's a jack Russell and is now 9.

Recently my son who still lives at home has had a baby and we are a bit apprehensive to let him near her. He also loves to see the baby's mum who is often round the house. If they stay over he will cry to get into my sons room to see her. Sometimes right the way through the night.

Last night this happened and my partner and I we're getting no sleep. Partner went to tell our dog to be quiet and he snapped and bit his finger, which he is now in hospital for and needing an op.

Our dog has bit family members all through his life but he's our dog and getting rid of the dog or putting down is not an option. We've tried medication to calm him. All to no change in his behaviour.

With partner now in hospital and a baby who is obviously going no where we just don't know what to do to improve the dogs behaviour.
Please help

Thattimeofyearagain Fri 24-Mar-17 18:06:06

I'm afraid if you've let him bite all through this life and he is now 9 there is only a slight chance of training him out of it. He cannot EVER be left alone with a child. If it was my dog I would seriously consider PTS

user1490375610 Fri 24-Mar-17 18:08:16

This is just not something any of us would consider. He can be a lovely dog. The snaps are not regular. Would say every few months he would try if he was irritated.

fannydaggerz Fri 24-Mar-17 18:12:34

Would you put him to sleep if he bit your grandchild because if he's biting his way through the family then that baby could be next.

In an ideal world, you could train him out of it but if you're not willing to have him pts, then a muzzle is your next option, with baby gates on every door.

How is your husband? It must have been a bad bite to require an operation.

Thattimeofyearagain Fri 24-Mar-17 18:14:31

I totally agree with fanny, stairgates, muzzle, every time. No exceptions.

TheHodgeoftheHedge Fri 24-Mar-17 18:18:31

Wow.
What the PP said.
Stairgates, muzzle. The works. And no taking chances.

Have you ever seen a behaviourist about this behaviour?!

WeAllHaveWings Fri 24-Mar-17 18:19:05

You have to make sure the dog and the baby are never together even supervised as JRTs are quick. Even when the baby is a toddler and a child. The risk is too high. Sorry I'd PTS.

If it were my chilled I wouldnt have them in your home.

WeAllHaveWings Fri 24-Mar-17 18:19:17

Child

TheoriginalLEM Fri 24-Mar-17 18:19:33

if his bites are unprovoked i don't see how you can keep him. I have a huge three week old bruise and scanned over puncture wound on my leg from an unprovoked bite from a small jrt dog. I work with dogs and knew not to react but a chold would have screamed the place down and the dog would have been likely to bite again.

This dog is a rescue that the owner has not had for long.The bite was done out of fear. She now muzzles the dog whenever her grandchildren visit.

Your dog sounds very anxious around your gc and don't mist8the crying to get to him as a dedire to be with the baby. I would be very concerned in your position.

Why has this behaviour been allowed to go unchecked for 9 years?

user1490375610 Fri 24-Mar-17 18:20:11

Partner is doing okay. They're going to have to bring the bone down a little to sew it back up as the top is off. The dog is never allowed near the baby and only ever has been to be introduced. To be honest, he doesn't fuss over her at all. More the baby's mum as he is jealous. But he's never even near the baby.

We have muzzled before and it has been effective to a degree so that is something we will revisit.

TheoriginalLEM Fri 24-Mar-17 18:20:50

please excuse my fat fingers

TheHodgeoftheHedge Fri 24-Mar-17 18:21:36

Have you seen a behaviourist?

user1490375610 Fri 24-Mar-17 18:23:19

It was first dog we have had and we have always said if we got another one we would know where we would change things we did previously. Honestly though, I would appreciate other options to pts. It's just not going to happen so other suggestions please

user1490375610 Fri 24-Mar-17 18:24:00

A behaviourist is something we've been talking about recently before this incident

user1482079332 Fri 24-Mar-17 18:26:21

Op I feel for you, I've recently rehomed my fur baby he was fear aggressive, not towards people but other animals, he had an awful past and his breed made him neurotic. It took 6months but I found a brilliant adult only home who understood the breed and are experienced with reactive dogs. People told me to pts but I couldn't bring myself to do it, he was loving and charming with a brilliant personality just not without his faults. Please consider this rather then pts it may take some time, the charity I went through was reputable and vetted people. I don't feel guilty about my dog as I now know he's a much happier dog and back to being the baby so to speak

TheHodgeoftheHedge Fri 24-Mar-17 18:26:46

To be honest, I don't know what solution you expect to find. If you don't want him PTS, which I understand, then you have only the choices that the others have said.
Keep him seperate from the baby. Muzzle him. And see a behaviourist. I know I've said it several times but you haven't answered, so I will say it again.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Fri 24-Mar-17 18:27:13

If he bites a non family member the decision to pts may be taken out of your hands.
We have 3 dogs and if they ever bit regularly I would feel it my responsibility to take the game of chance away...
Children's faces don't repair as easy as the damage your dh has received.

TheHodgeoftheHedge Fri 24-Mar-17 18:28:56

X posted I've seen you answered.

Don't talk about it - DO IT.

You have seriously let your dog and family down by not getting this behaviour sorted earlier and in continuing to allow him to bite through family members for 9 years (your words, not mine), this awful situation is entirely of your own making.

TheHodgeoftheHedge Fri 24-Mar-17 18:31:12

The only other option I see is to rehome him to people who understand and can work with his issues but that is easier said than done and I appreciate you love him.

Silverdream Fri 24-Mar-17 18:39:03

JRT are renowned for their unpredictability. With everything you get some that are chilled but they all have a short temper.
I have one and he has never bit anyone but I don't trust him. I have seen him snap at other dogs and I feel there is an underlying unpredictability. I won't let people he doesn't know stroke him till he goes to them. I will never let a child stroke him. My lab on the other hand is very chilled. I never trust any dog but I'm relaxed with her around nieces.
You could build an outside kennel and run with a kennel heater in. Put him in there when they are over. There will be no worry of the dog escaping etc. My JRT is quick and like a greased pig when trying to catch her. Putting them away will just make life easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now