Talk

Advanced search

Adopting pets off family members

(4 Posts)
user1485471386 Fri 10-Feb-17 21:05:17

Has anyone here ever took in a family members pet because they weren't looking after it properly? Recently had to adopt sisters cat because it was half starved and distressed, poor thing. Literally got permission, whisked her up and brought her home. She's put on three pound now bless her ;) and though I say so myself is as happy as Larry. So any of you had to do the same thing?

ToEarlyForDecorations Fri 10-Feb-17 21:34:52

I did. My mum died and the couple of cats her and Dad had adopted about a year previously weren't really being looked after.

They were being fed and could come and go as they pleased but he was in a state of flux at her death. He went on holiday and asked a neighbour to look after the cats. They were fed regularly whilst he was away but she said to him that he was not looking after the cats enough. OK, they get fed and are welcome at the house, but that's all they get.

So, to save them from an uncertain future I adopted them both.

We already had a cat but I felt there was room for all of them.

Anyway, one of mum's old cats de-camped to live next door to us. That was ok, and the neighbour had taken a shine to the cat. That cat died a couple of years later of natural causes.

Then a couple of years later we gave the other cat to our neighbour. He'd kinda snaffled him off us but that's a whole other story.

ToEarlyForDecorations Fri 10-Feb-17 21:37:18

P.S. My Dad was delighted that they were going to a good home. It would have been awkward to re-home two adult cats who were brothers to each other.

I felt that I just wanted to do right by my mum.

user1485471386 Fri 10-Feb-17 21:57:41

Aww that's so sweet smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now