Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Feeding my cat

(11 Posts)
Softie74 Mon 06-Feb-17 23:30:18

So my cat eats a lot. He only likes wet food and miaow to let me know when he's hungry... usually two pouches at a time. Three to four times a day. Given how much he eats, you'd think he'd get fat, but he's quite lean though not skinny. He also doesn't like to eat the remnants of a meal that he finished more than two hours previously. Is this too much food? And should I try to regulate a cross between dry and wet food?

GertyTheGert Mon 06-Feb-17 23:50:42

As you implied he doesnt finish all his grub (you said if its more than 2 hrs old......) I'd say you aren't necessarily overfeeding him. Generally cats will stop when full. And espec you said he isnt fat - is he young, a teenager, old? Indoors only or outdoors and in? My cats only ate the jelly of cat food and a teeny bit of the so-called meat. I was told by a vet not to exclusively feed any of my cats on dry food (he didn't agree with dry food because cats don't always drink enough to compensate of the lack of fluids). Also, the way I look at it, if they ate naturally its never dry grub!!! I also give my cat treats of fish eg pink salmon, red salmon, sardines in tomato sauce, also a bit of chicken just to vary his diet. Folk who say ooh thats expensive - nah! Sardines in tom sauce - tin is 40p and its two meals; sm tin salmon £1.30 ish = 3 meals etc etc. Someone may pooh-pooh what I've said here, but my cat is 19 soon!

Enidblyton1 Tue 07-Feb-17 00:08:28

That sounds like a huge amount of food. Is he a very active cat? I'm now concerned I'm underfeeding mine. She gets 1 pouch a day and a small handful of dry food. And she's not skinny! I wonder if she has a second home...?

If your cat is leaving some of the pouch and then demanding fresh food a bit later, I would give him half a pouch at a time and save the rest in the fridge until the next feed.

PleasantPhesant Tue 07-Feb-17 00:16:31

I'd work him and give him one ouch at a time

PleasantPhesant Tue 07-Feb-17 00:16:50

Worm him...cats don't work

Softie74 Tue 07-Feb-17 14:10:22

Hi there all, giving him only half of the second pouch sounds like a good idea. He's becoming a very picky boy. Also yes EnidBlyton1, he's quite active! Goes out almost all day and only comes back for food and sleep and fur strokings at night. smile

Softie74 Tue 07-Feb-17 14:11:59

Ooh, forgot to mention PleasantPhesant... I ordered some deworming drops. They should arrive today and I'll see if it has an impact on his appetite.

Wolfiefan Tue 07-Feb-17 14:14:17

Drops?
For deworming stuff I would buy from vet. De flea monthly and Drontal at regular intervals.

hollinhurst84 Tue 07-Feb-17 14:21:28

Mine self regulates but that seems a lot
Mine has dry food when I'm out at work (literally a small handful) and eats between 1-3 pouches a day depending on how he feels. He's 4.2kg so I let him eat as he feels

What are you actually feeding? High meat good quality might be more satisfying

Tubbyinthehottub Tue 07-Feb-17 14:26:53

Seems a lot of pouches but what sort is he eating? Mine eats two pouches a day and a small amount (a tablespoon or so) of biscuits. He isn't a huge cat. He eats high meat content food though, I think some cheaper pouches probably don't have much nutritional or calorific value so perhaps you need more. I try not to give too much dry as they need moisture to keep their bladders etc healthy, especially boys.

MonicaLucci Tue 07-Feb-17 15:27:05

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now