Talk

Advanced search

Am I the only one who has full on conversations with their pets?

(44 Posts)
StrartinngfromHere Thu 26-Jan-17 07:31:24

Teenage DD has just told me I am odd for talking to our animals. This is after telling the dog he could not go out yet until his operation wound has healed and then telling the cat (who wanted the door opened then did not want to go out because it was too cold) that if he was a real cat he'd go out to play anyway.

My view is that it is just part of pet/owner interaction. I can't just ignore them so I might as well say something half way sensible. They give the appearance of listening though I'm not daft enough to believe they understand what I am saying.

Does anyone else talk to their pets in this way or am I indeed odd?

StrartinngfromHere Thu 26-Jan-17 19:32:47

Yup, it's just me!

andnow Thu 26-Jan-17 19:34:22

We do it too. Even have a special voice for the dog. He has a full blown personality & various storylines. Sometimes he phones DD if I'm not with her blush

Deucebumps Thu 26-Jan-17 19:35:05

I talk to my rabbits. So does my flat mate/their co owner. I do little voices so they can 'converse' back to her....

TizzyDongue Thu 26-Jan-17 19:37:22

Yes of course I do!! It'd be rude to ignore he when he says something to me.

TizzyDongue Thu 26-Jan-17 19:38:14

*He = a cat

Floralnomad Thu 26-Jan-17 19:39:30

We all do it here , ive always spoken to my pets , when I was a teenager / early 20s my horse was the best listener and gave some very good advice . The dog we have now is a good conversationalist but he is a bit thick , bless him .

Madbengalmum Thu 26-Jan-17 19:41:30

Oh no, i have great conversations with my dog amd cats, in fact my dog talks back to us regularly!!

Umblubblub Thu 26-Jan-17 19:42:56

I talk to my cats. They sometimes talk back in little meows or chirrups if the mood takes them. Maybe I'm a bit bonkers, but who cares?!

andpeggy29 Thu 26-Jan-17 19:45:09

Me and my cat Eric have a full on conversation of meows whilst I make dinner, every night when I get in from work. We like to chat about our day!

RustyPaperclip Thu 26-Jan-17 19:46:41

Of course! How else would the cats give me my orders? grin

SweetChickadee Thu 26-Jan-17 19:48:02

Dh and the cat have a lovely chat while DH gets dressed in the mornings grin

Empress13 Thu 26-Jan-17 19:48:09

Talk all the time to my pets - thought it was normal !

Empress13 Thu 26-Jan-17 19:48:45

TBH get more sense out of them than DH LOL

Norfolkbumpkin Thu 26-Jan-17 19:51:29

Most certainly not odd to have full-on conversations with pets, I do all the time! My dog also talks back to me (I'm not a mad old dog lady, oh no) blushgrin

Deucebumps Thu 26-Jan-17 19:51:33

I'm currently off work sick, so it's a novelty for the buns to be out and about all day during the week. I've had the same conversation with them several times when they come and jump on me....
Buns: are you okay human?
Me: yes, yes, I'm fine
B: let us sniff you over and check. By the way, don't suppose you have any nuggets hidden away on your person?
M: no, and you know it's not dinner time yet
B: ohhh.... well we're glad you're not dying (promptly bugger off back to their hutch)

See attached 'what do you mean there's no more nuggets?!??' face

RustyPaperclip Thu 26-Jan-17 19:56:43

Oh Deuce how could you say no to such a cute bunny??

Wolfiefan Thu 26-Jan-17 19:59:08

We have an 18 week old puppy. A few days ago my DH explained he could hear me chittering away to her as I was getting her ready for bed.
I do a kind of running commentary when we are out too. People must think I'm off my head.

Apfelbunny Thu 26-Jan-17 20:00:09

I talk to my car...I say good morning to it, bye when I park it, I apologise to it and all the normal things people would do...And I also have full on conversations with it about other cars on the road and what it's like to live in a house...Our old car got balloons on its birthday, I forgot with this one and felt bad so I sat in it, gave its steering wheel a cuddle and said sorry.
I dont see my car as a pet, I see the car as a member of the family - caring for it and talking to it is the least I can do in way of thanking it for protecting us and taking us to places and on holidays and creating memories with us.

Ilovecaindingle Thu 26-Jan-17 20:00:41

In a poll speaking would outvote non speaking I would bet. grin

Autumnchill Thu 26-Jan-17 20:01:43

Well I've just told Fisher that she has a bubble coming out of her mouth. She didn't respond. So I pointed it out to her and asked if she was going to do anything about it. Apparently she isn't however I told her she was beautiful and she meowed in agreement and I suggested she went and showed her Dad the bubble at which point she trotted off to my husband to show him, so I know she fully understood every word I said and now he's talking to her 😀

All completely normal here!

Deucebumps Thu 26-Jan-17 20:29:18

Rusty sadly I have to be strong and say no, else they would end up being little chubsters! They certainly know how to play for attention, they're masters of the 'we're starving, we haven't been fed in weeks' faces even though I know damn well they've already had their dinner....

RustyPaperclip Thu 26-Jan-17 20:43:14

Deuce our cats are the same, cheeky little so and sos. I feed them and then they act like they haven't been fed so DH feeds them too, or vice versa hmmgrin Yet we somehow keep falling for it

mateysmum Thu 26-Jan-17 21:29:46

You mean there are people who don't talk to their pets?!

Matey dog and I have long chats. He understands every word, never tells a soul my secrets and even puts up with my singing.

All he asks in return is food, love, tickle and walkies.

mirren3 Thu 26-Jan-17 21:39:16

Oh yes, our old lab used to write on the memo board in the kitchen when I was wee, took me ages to figure out he had similar hand (paw?) writing to my dad.
Our dog just now knows everything I say to him. I also regularly chat to my friends dog over the speakers in her car, he thinks I live in the car door!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now