Talk

Advanced search

Have to find a home for my old lady

(179 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

HalfwayToFifty Sat 21-Jan-17 20:53:25

I'm absolutely devastated. Had my cat since she was 8 weeks old. She is now approx 14/15. She's a house cat who is scared of children thanks to my Ds chasing her. We are moving house in a few weeks and no pets allowed. I'm gutted I can't keep her. We have been trying to search for some where that can take her and rehome her but having no luck. Don't want to just advertise on social media incase I make the wrong decision and send her somewhere horrid! I wold prefer her to go to a rescue so they could take care in rehoming her. Any ideas of places that do this? We are in the northwest.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 23-Jan-17 16:47:57

Have you actually asked the land lord. My tenancy says no cat's. Asked the landlady directly and she was happy. I had to sign a letter saying I'd make good any damage. And it's been fine. Tell them it's an elderly cat and lay it on thick!

greatpumpkin Mon 23-Jan-17 16:50:25

I agree with asking the landlord, offer to pay a bigger deposit? I think the chances of finding a new home for her are really small, sorry.

CatBallou2 Tue 24-Jan-17 21:27:52

I can't even imagine having to do this. Agree with PP's, ask your landlord direct and offer to pay a double deposit, a professional clean when you leave the property and replace anything damaged by your cat. Money talks. Sad to say, your cat will struggle to find a good home. Do not put her up for adoption via social media, you never know where she'll end up.

You could try Cats Protection www.cats.org.uk

www.pawzforthought.org

Auriga Tue 24-Jan-17 21:36:40

Our tenancy agreement said no pets, but landlord was happy to agree to a cat, on condition we agreed to pay for carpet cleaning when we left (just downstairs as cat didn't go upstairs -we had a stairgate).

Also we paid to put in a cat flap and (bizarrely) remove it and make good afterwards. I'm sure most reasonable landlords wouldn't ask you to remove the bloody cat flap but we did.

Almost all properties that are advertised as 'no pets' will allow pets if they think you are going to be reasonable tenants. They put that in the advert so that they can turn away the person with five American bulldogs or a tank of poisonous snakes.

mrsBeverleygoldberg Tue 24-Jan-17 21:40:52

You might as well put her to sleep. No one wants an elderly cat because of vet bills. I cannot believe that you would be so uncaring to your elderly cat. Shame on you. I never usually say anything like this I normally try to be supportive. But it is shameful, selfish and cruel. What are you thinking?

WorldsSmallestPatio Tue 24-Jan-17 21:42:20

Why do you have to move?

Why have you picked somewhere you can't take her ? sad

Pick somewhere else ?

Toddlerteaplease Tue 24-Jan-17 21:44:31

MrsBeverly. What a horrible thing to say. Older cats do find loving homes though, it is harder. Hopefully the landlord will allow her to keep her beloved cat. Keeping all my fingers and toes crossed for her.

Toddlerteaplease Tue 24-Jan-17 21:45:32

I must admit that my cats would be non negotiable if I moved. I would keep looking till I found somewhere that was happy.

mrsBeverleygoldberg Tue 24-Jan-17 21:49:25

No it isn't. We had to take in a neighbour's cat because the owner went to prison. The police officer was told there was no places at the rescue centres and to get the ten year old cat put to sleep. The rspca put animals to sleep if they aren't re homed after a set amount of time.
I'm being honest for the sake of that poor cat. If you get a pet you promise to have them for their whole life, not until its inconvenient. angry

HalfwayToFifty Wed 25-Jan-17 07:43:16

We are moving because we live with my mum. Me Dh and 2Dc. There is no room and we want to be a family unit. My cat means a lot to me but my children mean more. We are on a tight budget. This was a fantastic sized house for our budget. We won't find anything like this within budget again. I agree about vets bills. She has always been so healthy, never had to take her to the vets, but someone recently told me that cats hide any pain they may be in due to it making them look weak in front of predators. I would get her checked out before she went to a knew home. I'd hate to leave someone with a pile of vets bills. I think the best thing for her would be to be away from my 4yo. She's too old to be chased around and she's scared.

HalfwayToFifty Wed 25-Jan-17 07:47:52

This cat was bought for me when I was 10. My priorities have changed a lot since I was 10! My children, and them having a family home, me and their dad not stressing and arguing with their grandmother is more important.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Wed 25-Jan-17 07:48:37

So there are lots of separate issues here.

4yo chases cat. What do you do about this? Can you put a stairgate up so the vast can always be away from the child? What do you do when it happens - do your discipline your child for it? If not, why not?

Cats nor allowed in new home. Have you asked the landlord? Have you considered moving in and not telling them about the cat? Is the cat known to be destructive? Would your current landlord give you a reference to the effect that the cat has not destroyed the last house?

Rehoming. You will struggle to rehome a cat of her age. Many charities may well put her down. What steps have you taken to explore your options for this?

TheoriginalLEM Wed 25-Jan-17 07:48:56

Whilst i think MrsBeverleys post is rude, harsh and quite frankly batshit, i do think pts is a consideration, the chances of rehoming an elderly cat is slim. You also say she is nervous?

Is there any way she could stay with your mum?

crazycravings Wed 25-Jan-17 07:51:26

Can you leave her with your mum?

LotsoNumbers Wed 25-Jan-17 07:51:57

At 4yo your kid should know better than to be chasing the poor cat around

Vandenessa Wed 25-Jan-17 07:52:17

It's not easy to find anywhere to rent nowadays that let you have a pet and a child. Really the cat is your mums cat if she got it when you were ten. If we got a pet now it's my responsibility.

HalfwayToFifty Wed 25-Jan-17 07:54:21

She lives upstairs. There is a stair gate but my son can open it. Yes my son gets disciplined. He thinks he can play with her like he can other family dogs/cats. My mum can't have her. We have tried family. When I was 10 I didn't know where I would be in 15 years time. I didn't buy the cat. I do love her and it is sad but there is nothing I can do. It's a no go with LL. Only fish.

HalfwayToFifty Wed 25-Jan-17 07:56:32

I'm sorry I'm on a pet thread but I still manage to get my parenting slammed! He plays with other family members cats, he doesn't understand this one isn't into that.

FauxFox Wed 25-Jan-17 07:58:43

You need to find a crazy (in a good way) lovely animal lover who takes in pets in your area - google like mad and I'm sure you'll find someone. I had to regime my guinea pigs when I was pregnant because we moved and I could't look after them properly and I found a wonderful lady who had dedicated her life to small animals - she lived on a small holding and had 30+ rabbits and guineas and treated them all like kings! I felt happy to know they were going to be safe and loved and I gave her a £ donation and food/bedding etc. Try and find a cat lady who can do the same for you?

Or won't your mum keep the cat?? Why not?

heebiejeebie Wed 25-Jan-17 07:58:46

I would discuss with a local cat charity - my SIL has fostered elderly cats when their elderly owners had to go into homes. Why won't your mum keep her if she's lived there for years?

FauxFox Wed 25-Jan-17 07:59:11

Rehome not regime hmm

JustAnotherPoster00 Wed 25-Jan-17 07:59:21

But it is shameful, selfish and cruel. What are you thinking?

Ever tried renting in the UK? hmm

TheoriginalLEM Wed 25-Jan-17 07:59:48

I would contact your local vets they can give you numbers for local crazy cat ladies cat rescue charities. The smaller charities are often more helpful and will foster in a home environment where ever possible.

It must be really difficult for you but it honestly does sound like rehomimg would be better for her.

The reality is that may not be possible sad,

neonrainbow Wed 25-Jan-17 08:00:22

Nobody wants a 15yo cat. She will not find a home from a rehoming centre and its really bloody cruel to uproot her and dump her in a cattery. Out of the two options of rehoming centre or put to sleep then pts is the kindest option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now