Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Flooring

(7 Posts)
jenk1 Fri 23-Feb-07 19:59:26

We are moving house next week.
We have a lhasa Apso dog who is 18months old now.

We were thinking about getting carpet in the new house as im sick of continually sweeping and mopping the laminate floor we have now.

does anyone have any advice with regards to whats best for you to have when you have a dog.

thanks

PhoenixGirl Fri 23-Feb-07 20:04:26

Hi we have a 2 year old Lhasa Apso and had laminate flooring up until about 3 week ago. To be honest (and i probably sound scruffy) the carpets better cos u can't see as much on it as you can on the laminate iykwim.

gooseegg Fri 23-Feb-07 21:05:54

We are thinking of changing our carpet to solid wood because mud and water loving dogs make carpets smell and look grubby quite quickly.
(Our puppy arrives next week).
We had laminate in our old house which was clean and didn't smell but was nowhere near as cosy and comfortable as carpet and always needed sweeping. It got scratched by claws quite easily too.
I still think real wood or tile and washable rugs is probably the best option for freshness. I don't want to have to keep using chemicals to keep carpets clean.

MuffinMclay Fri 23-Feb-07 21:17:02

We had a combination of wooden floors and laminate (and 2 dogs) in our old house and they were relatively easy to clean. In our new house, with just one dog, we have carpets and they look dreadful. We've been here less than a year (and the carpets aren't much older than that) and the dog has ruined them already. Wet and muddy footprints don't seem to agree carpets. Copious baby sick hasn't helped either.

Dh and I were only talking today about ripping out the carpets and getting some wooden floors laid. carpet is much nicer on the feet though.

MuffinMclay Fri 23-Feb-07 21:17:43

Sorry for typos - too much wine...

PhoenixGirl Fri 23-Feb-07 21:29:53

we got a brown carpet for all those reasons. Wood floor probably is a better option but i hated ours so wanted rid.

Joannie2 Sat 24-Feb-07 13:48:46

Laminate and wood flooring can cause hip/joint problems in dogs. My dog refuses point blank to walk on it. We had to lift the wood flooring and put down a carpet because we spent half the day carrying her from room to room

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now