Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

cats messing in the house - does anyone have any tips before I get rid of them

(16 Posts)
wannaBeWhateverIWannaBe Thu 22-Feb-07 11:07:16

we have two cats who are approx 9 years old. they have access to outside through a cat flap, and they have always been very clean cats. However, recently we started having to shut the cat flap at night to prevent other cats coming into the house. It was then that one of them started to crap in the spare room, so we started shutting them out at night. But it seems that a habbit has now developed and one of them is still crapping in the spare room, despite the fact they're out all night and have free access to outside during the day.

I am seriously considering getting rid of them as while I love them, this behavior is just horrible. I don't want to get rid, and ds is distraught not wanting me to get rid of his cats, but I don't have any alternative really do I?

or does anyone have some words of wisdom?

NurseyJo Thu 22-Feb-07 11:08:41

Message withdrawn

zephyrcat Thu 22-Feb-07 11:10:15

I would say that the it's because other cats have been coming into the house. They are scared of it and marking their territory. I know you said you've locked the catflap since but cats are fuinny about things like that. It may even be the other cats are still coming into the garden and they feel intimidated.

cinnamontam Thu 22-Feb-07 11:10:37

It's a tough one. Most cleaning products have ammonia in them which just smells like wee to cats so they think it's fine to keep using that spot as a loo.

I've discovered that cats dislike the smell of oranges so I've been able to stop one of mine using a corner of the house by spraying 'Orange Spray' (comes from Oz I'm afraid - I get my Mum to send it over) in the corner. It is basically orange oil so you might be able to find something similar at a health food shop.

Otherwise vets seem to sell stuff you can spray - I've just never used them.

Good luck

MrsDaveCusack Thu 22-Feb-07 11:16:11

yep I agree on the other cat thing - one of mine started crapping inside after other cats got in - it really upset her. She carried on doing it even when the cat didn't come in but just lurked around the outside of the catflap.

you can try lemon or orange scented stuff. something else that my vet nurse friend suggested was a plug in thingy which releases hormones which make cats happy - that seemed to work in the end (can't remember for the life of me where I got it - probably the vets). I also had to make sure I really chased the cat that was hassling her away every time he turned up.

maybe ask your vet about this, and/or ask Notanotter to ask her DH.

Whoooosh Thu 22-Feb-07 11:18:58

Feliway is the plug in thing.

I would definitely keep spare room door shut-or if all else fails put a cat litter tray in there.Not a nice idea but probably preferable to getting rid of them.

wannaBeWhateverIWannaBe Thu 22-Feb-07 11:20:32

thank you everyone.

yes, the cat that comes in does hang around outside, and will occasionally sneak through the cat flap in the evenings. I have sprayed it with a water pistol and have even sent the dog after it but it's a stubbern ginger tom who just won't go away. My cats are quite small and timid so are probably intimidated by him.

will def get some orange oil (mil is an aroma therapist) and shut the spare room door for now.

I really don't want to get rid of them as I'm an animal lover and I don't really believe in getting rid of animals because of behavior but it is just so infuriating.

MrsDaveCusack Thu 22-Feb-07 11:23:25

yes think it was feliway
mine took to crapping in the bath - lovely - or on the front door mat thingy
we ended up with doors shut all over the place to prevent her getting into rooms and had to reinstate the litter tray for a bit too
but we did sort her out in the end

boredwithwaitingforminiMOSSY Thu 22-Feb-07 11:26:07

Clean the area in which they've messed with biological washing powder mixed with hot water; the enzymes break down the crap. (Or so I hear; it's what I've always done in case of accidents anyway and seems to work.)

It's not too late to train them to use a litter tray either; you may want to put some earth from your back yard / garden in the tray at first so they get used to the idea. Put the cat in the tray after each meal and reward the cat when they poo / wee in the tray.

And if all else fails shut the spare room door.

wannaBeWhateverIWannaBe Thu 22-Feb-07 11:28:43

oh they are litter traned but when we got the cat flap they stopped going in the tray and went outside instead. they're now shut out at night as that's when the ginger cat comes in (and he comes in without fail and can even lift the cat flap to get in if we put the flap on exit only) so there really is no reason why they should be going in the house.

dejags Thu 22-Feb-07 11:33:04

Why don't you get a two way flap - it will allow them to get out if they are inside but once they go out they can't come back in (with the plus side of not allowing other cats in).

Keep the offending room closed at night and put out a temporary litter tray near the cat flap.

After a few days put the litter tray on the outside of the catflap and show the cats where it is.

Clean the carpets with a proper carpet cleaner/shampoo and do the whole room (you can get a rug doctor from most hardware stores). This will remove the scent properly.

FWIW my moggies would be most put out if I shut them out in winter. Perhaps shutting them in with a cat litter tray instead of locking them out would be the answer.

dejags Thu 22-Feb-07 11:34:31

oh and if you chuck a bucket of water in the direction of the offending ginger cat when you see it - it'll soon get the message and go off to somebody elses house.

nicm Thu 22-Feb-07 22:36:55

try washing the carpet with vinegar and water or orange or lemon in water. cats don't like the smell. hopefully this will stop them. and i would keep them in at night with a litter tray.

HansieMom Fri 23-Feb-07 04:06:53

It seems unkind to put them outside at night. They are likely scared and that tomcat probably is there to harass them.

You might try a sprinkler device called the Scarecrow. It's cool! It has a motion detector on it, and if it detects motion,it suddenly sends a few sprays of water. That might be enough to deter the tomcat.

I second the vinegar rinse of carpet. I'd shampoo the carpet, then go over it again with a vinegar/water mix to take the smell away.

And of course they need a litter box in the house. You can get a collar w an electronic gizmo on it so only your cats can open the cat door.

ratclare Fri 23-Feb-07 17:21:46

try feliway spray from the vets and go round the house and sray it around on the walls etc at cat level ,i used it for one of mine and it worked

Madoldcatlady Fri 23-Feb-07 21:15:17

Take the ginger tom to a rehoming centre at least 100 miles away!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now