Talk

Advanced search

Separation anxiety with adopted Lab

(3 Posts)
Samson1313 Fri 16-Dec-16 22:41:01

Can someone please give me some advice? We adopted a 1 year old chocolate Lab. One previous owner. He knows sit, stay, lay down, doesn't jump up, doesn't chew up anything. We have 2 other labs that he does very well with. Plays with the younger one a lot!! My problem is his crate. He has broken out of it 3 times. Once during the day and 2 times during the night. Do I keep putting him in the crate? Stay with the routine?

user1482261465 Thu 29-Dec-16 20:20:07

When you have a dog with anxiety a routine is really important. Make sure he gets lots of exercise. As for crating that's a personal choice, when my dog broke her leg the vet told me to crate her but she would freak out and try to dig the cage. But out of the crate she would just sleep in her bed. Maybe put something in the cage that smells familiar to him, and leave the door open when you're there. Give him treats/toys in the crate to get him familiar with it so he sees it as a good place to be. Xx

MrRiddle0 Sun 05-Mar-17 22:35:00

I don't really like crates for my dogs, I find that they after a few night they will just learn to stay in a bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now