Talk

Advanced search

Rehoming cats

(16 Posts)
BravoPanda Mon 12-Dec-16 22:55:47

Can anyone recommend a rehoming centre in the North West that might take in our two tomcats? (10 & 5yrs). No fault of their own, they're just both incredibly stressed since I got pregnant and nothing is helping (was told infertile for over a decade so a nice surpise for us, not so much for them! sad). Feliway and so on all used to no avail. Constantly fighting now, have both taken to peeing wherever they choose and howling and battling throughout the night, the vet said both are fine and no obvious cause beyond they might be able to sense my hormonal changes. My allergies have also hit a new high so on top of the stress it's just upsetting me because they're my first babies and I hate seeing them like this, it's not fair on them and I wouldn't trust it to improve when baby arrives sad

Wolfiefan Mon 12-Dec-16 22:59:01

Hasn't the vet suggested neutering? I really would not think cats would freak out about hormones? Are they able to get out? Can they get away from each other?

BrianCoxWithBellsOn Mon 12-Dec-16 22:59:19

I'm sorry you're having a hard time.

Depending on where you are, I can recommend Warrington Animal Welfare - although they are only small. They do foster out though, so may have spaces.

I think there's also a similar charity in St Helens, if you Google "no-kill cat rescue" and your area, you should get some good results.

BravoPanda Mon 12-Dec-16 23:03:08

They have both been neutered since they were kittens. Always vaccinated, wormed etc. Two very spoilt rotten kitties. They are in and out of the house all day and have free access to come and go. The older one prefers to stay on the window ledge though and watch the world go buy. Thanks Briancox, I'll give them a bell tomorrow! star

catlover1987 Mon 12-Dec-16 23:03:49

What a shitty excuse for rehoming a pet. Poor animals.

Wolfiefan Mon 12-Dec-16 23:07:56

So they aren't actually Tom cats then? That implies unneutered?! I would be reluctant to give my cats up. Did vet have no other suggestions?

ratjojo Tue 13-Dec-16 18:50:46

Rehoming an animal because they "might" be to pick up or a hormonal change doesn't make sense, they'll be more stressed out by being rehomed, in any case you won't be a priority in the eyes of the rescue centre you'll probably be best rehoming them privately if you want it done quickly. You can still do all the checks on the people charge them a fee to make sure they're legit.

Palomb Tue 13-Dec-16 18:53:26

People don't generally get rid of existing "babies" when the next one comes along.

stumblymonkey Tue 13-Dec-16 19:12:45

Cats do not sense human hormonal changes and go batshit crazy.....I've never, ever heard of this.

How long has it been happening?

They're probably just have a few tiffs at the moment and it will calm down.

TBH I'm trying very hard to imagine that you're not just a bit fed up with them and your hormones are making you blow things out of proportion?

If they've been very loved members of the family it will be a lot more upsetting and stressful for them to be re-homed and left by their human than to adjust to a change at home.

I'm trying very hard not to judge but I would never kick out existing members of my family (which is what pets are)...

stumblymonkey Tue 13-Dec-16 19:18:23

Also I hate to point out that the 10 year old boy's chances of finding a home anytime soon are not brilliant. If you take him in, he's likely to be in a pen for months sad

Can you try:

- Keeping them in separate parts of the house
- Reinforcing good behaviour with each other with treats
- Making sure you give them both lots and equal attention
- Observing their behaviour and whether they are falling out about specific things (e.g. Bullying over food or litter trays)

Surely at the absolute worst you only need to re-home one of them?

stumblymonkey Tue 13-Dec-16 19:24:18

Sorry, me again....

It is more likely that the ten year old used to be more dominant but now he's slowing down the younger cat is asserting its dominance and therefore challenging the pecking order.

It's very unlikely to be your pregnancy.

HalfwayToFifty Wed 25-Jan-17 11:30:25

I feel for you. I'm currently getting shamed on here because I have to rehome my cat.
My cat changed through both my pregnancies. She hated me when pregnant with Ds and wouldn't go near him as a baby. When pregnant with Dd she couldn't get enough of me and now she's always checking up on the baby.
What you are having to do is hard and painful. I'm feeling it to. But of course, because our pets are not our first priority we get abuse on here. I wish I could help. But just wanted to show support.

AC14MUZ Tue 04-Apr-17 10:37:07

I feel so sorry for you, I know this is not an easy decision to make or one you will have done lightly so rather than have people shame you, it would be more helpful if they could put their efforts towards finding your furry babies a new loving family. To give up a pet is heartbreaking, I've not had to do so myself so I can only imagine what you are going through.

I hope you find a loving home soon if you haven't done so already and I hope that you find away to cope with the loss, like Halfwaytofifty I just want to show my support as haters only make it harder.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Tue 04-Apr-17 10:39:17

Have you been ill advised that you shouldn't have cats when you have a baby?

Eatingcheeseontoast Tue 04-Apr-17 10:46:41

I had to rehome a cat due to a house move - I asked around friends and eventually found someone who had just lost a cat and was happy to take him - I paid his insurance for 3 months and also arranged for the microchip info to be changed.

It helped knowing he was going to a good home!

MaidenMotherCrone Tue 04-Apr-17 11:10:49

If you were suggesting rehoming one of the boys for the good of the other you might have had more favourable responses but to use your pregnancy as an excuse isn't going to go down well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now