Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Choosing/locating a puppy

(9 Posts)
slouch Fri 16-Feb-07 22:09:36

We are thinking about getting a dog, but I have no idea how to go about searching for one. Any advice?

MamaG Fri 16-Feb-07 22:10:13

choose your breed first. I recommend labradors highly, then go on kennel club website for list of breeders

ta daaa!

slouch Fri 16-Feb-07 22:22:43

Thanks - have just looked at the website. Watch this space...

Joannie2 Sat 17-Feb-07 17:22:05

Agree with MamaG, if you want a specific breed then your best bet is to go through the relevant Breed Club (details can be found on the KC site) - make sure that the breeder you buy from carries out all the genetic health tests recommended for the breed eg, hip-scoring, elbow-scoring, DNA tests, eye-testing - a once over by a vet is not good enough.

hercules1 Sat 17-Feb-07 21:29:47

Champdogs and I think pet planet has lots of information on different breeds. You need to do lots of research, consider suze, exercise, tempera,emt etc. Go and have a look at grown up dogs before looking at puppies. Labs are lovely but we didnt go for one as too much exercise.

HandyTrinkett Tue 27-Feb-07 03:54:51

oh and if you're getting a puppy make sure you see it with at least it's mum and preferably its dad as well....

Steppy1 Tue 27-Feb-07 04:27:10

Hi Slouch....Have just been woken by our 17 wk old black lab so remember it is like having a baby again...but she is lovely !!! We went through a local breeder, and bought a black lab who has fitted in with the family perfectly...she really is a sweetie !!!! The breeder was very professional and provided us with the following:-

Her KC breeding family tree info
KC registration document
Details (and a photograph !) of her dad (we got to see her with her mum)
Full details of all of her worming schedule
Innoculation card
Confirmation of her feeding routine
5 days worth of feed

I would highly recommend going through a reputable breeder as this has made ours (and Frisbee's !!) transition as easy as possible for us all keep us updated !!

HandyTrinkett Tue 27-Feb-07 15:43:32

If you're thinking about getting a puppy you'll probably go and see it more than once.. ...take an old towel or t-shirt with you the first time and if you decide to get one, ask to leave the towel t-shirt with the puppies so it gets covered in a nice familiar smell.. ..also helps the transition to its new home...

massagemum Tue 27-Feb-07 15:46:33

We got a yellow lab just over a year ago, we have 3 kids aged at the time 2, 1 & new born.
Really hard work, with toilet training (the dog that is) but he now thinks that he is one of the kids!!!

Because they have grown up together the are really close and the dog is really tolerant!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now