Talk

Advanced search

Help: cattery or daily visits for elderly cats whilst on holiday.

(11 Posts)
Lookproperly Fri 22-Jul-16 13:49:06

I have two wonderful elderly cats. They are about 14.

Until last year I fed them a dry diet and was advised by vet to just keep bowls topped up with food (one had a problem with bolting food and other was always skinny). This made going away simple- friend popped in once a day, topped up bowls, gave fresh water, had quick cuddle.

A year ago we moved house just 2 weeks before going away. Out cats were only just used to new house and I was worried about them escaping and getting lost so for the first time ever I left them in a cattery for 2 weeks. Afterwards I was very surprised that they seemed fine as I expected them to find it very stressful. They get on very well so shared a cage.

Around Christmas one of them was diagnosed with renal disease. He has a special diet and daily medicine. He's so much better now than at Christmas, but is now an extremely fussy eater and sometimes refuses his special food. I have to balance the need for a special diet with not allowing him to become starving as this causes nausea and aggravates kidney problems. Luckily he takes medicine easily as happily lucks all jelly off special wet renal food and I hide medicine in this. On a few occasions he has gone quickly downhill and has needed coaxing to eat, once ending up at vets on a drip for 2 days.

I've been away three times since Christmas and have used a local pet sitter who comes in twice a day to check on and feed cats. She's been great, but I have noticed that when we get back the cats behave very strangely- lots of loud miaowing and racing about and scrapping. I had booked her for a two week holiday this summer but she's cancelled due to illness in her family.

I'm struggling to find someone else, and am now not sure whether to go with a cattery or someone to visit and feed.

Sorry for the long post, I just love these two so very much, and want to do the best by them. On one hand I feel they would be happier at home, on the other I feel they would be more closely watched-over in a cattery. I should say that they have access to outside at home via cat flap.

So- cattery or sitter? I would love to hear your thoughts please.

evilgiraffe Fri 22-Jul-16 14:08:14

I have an elderly cat who is on potassium supplement in her food three times a day. We put her in the cattery because they're great at making sure she gets her medication, they cuddle her, and she knows the place and doesn't get stressed.

If medication wasn't an issue I'd ask someone to feed her, but because it is, a cattery is my choice - and they will notice if she starts looking unwell, they have the details of our vet so will take her in if need be.

Our girl does find it very boring, but the older she gets the less of an issue that is, as she mostly sits still all day anyway.

GRW Sun 24-Jul-16 20:52:07

I have a 19 year old cat on 3 times a day tablets for kidney failure and hyperthyroidism, as well as 2 younger cats. My neighbour is a cat lover and has looked after them for me for a week, so I'm very grateful. Last year I didn't go away on holuday at all, and not wanting to leave my old girl was the main reason. I hope you find a solution be it cattery or someone to feed them.

MrPony Mon 25-Jul-16 12:34:21

From what you've said I think a cattery would be best. You could always ask around friends if anyone would be happy to have them at their home?

NarcyCow Mon 25-Jul-16 13:03:08

If they were happy in a cattery before, I'd go with that.

Floralnomad Mon 25-Jul-16 13:07:59

I'd go for the cattery just for peace of mind .

P1nkP0ppy Mon 25-Jul-16 13:13:45

Definitely chattery.
I'd be very worried if something happened to them while they were at home such as becoming ill or going AWOL.

P1nkP0ppy Mon 25-Jul-16 13:14:17

*chattery?
That's a new one!

FuzzyOwl Mon 25-Jul-16 13:21:04

I always think cats are happier left at home but for your peace of mind and because of their age/health, I think a cattery would be sensible.

Vinorosso74 Mon 25-Jul-16 23:44:41

We used to leave ours at home but since last year when she started having health problems we started using the cattery. I know they'll give her the medication and make sure she eats. Bonus is it's also part of our vets so at least if she isn't well she's in the right place.
I think cattery is your best bet.

Lookproperly Thu 28-Jul-16 13:23:01

Thank you all for your thoughts.

I have decided to go with the cattery option. No doubt my cats will be annoyed with me, but they will be safer and the old boy will get his medicine. I will make it up to them when I get back!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now