Talk

Advanced search

old dog is suffering. what to do?

(21 Posts)
treacle84 Sun 12-Jun-16 20:43:44

Hi all.
I'm after some advice and reassurance really. We've got an almost 13 year old jack Russell and his health has detoriated the past few days. He's generally looking old and he looks sad. When he's sitting his back legs seem to turn inwards and when he's walking he yelps in pain occasionly. He's used to bounding up the stairs and on the sofa but he can't any more. Also his eyes look cloudy. He's off his food too and he loves his food! I'm going to ring the vets tomorrow morning and get him checked over but I don't really want him pumped with medicine to prolong his life for god knows how long. But do you think he's ready to go now? Or am I bad for even considering it?
Please no bashing. I'm very upset already. Thanks

AlwaysDancing1234 Sun 12-Jun-16 20:46:10

No bashing here at all, just an unmumsnetty (((hug))) I can imagine how awful you feel.
It may be something simple that can be easily treated or may be that your beloved friend is reaching the end of his days, the vet will advise you. It's so hard but you will know what the right thing to do is when the time comes.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sun 12-Jun-16 20:46:54

Why would we bash you?

I think every dog owner knows when the time comes. If the dog's deteriorated and he's in pain and off his food, then he's telling you what to do.

Sorry you're losing your dog.
Don't feel guilty.

Wyldfyre Sun 12-Jun-16 20:47:11

If you're asking then the time is probably right but only you will know for sure <hugs>
It's a hard decision to make but I always feel that when a dog stops enjoying life then it's not fair to make them continue. They generally have a way of telling you they've had enough.

DramaAlpaca Sun 12-Jun-16 20:50:36

Sorry to hear about your old boy.

It's a hard decision to make, but try to bear in mind something that's often said on here, that it's better to let them go a week too early than a day too late.

If you think he's suffering, then it's time.

<hugs> & flowers

Handsoffmysweets Sun 12-Jun-16 20:50:36

Bless you treacle. Your little dog sounds so loved. I think deep down you'll know in your heart of hearts if he's ready to go or not - admitting it to yourself is another matter. He sounds as though he's had a good life with people who love and care about him, but maybe it's time to go now. When they've lost that sparkle in their eyes and they generally look as if they've 'given up' I think it's kinder to let them go. I wish you and your family and your lovely dog the best. It's heartbreaking when they go but take a little comfort in knowing that you've helped to end any suffering x x

treacle84 Sun 12-Jun-16 20:57:37

Thank you for your kind words. He's a rescue dog and we've had him for 3 years. He's already been abandoned once. I just don't want him to feel like we are giving up on him. He's very loved and I have admitted it to myself that he's probably ready. But saying out loud is another thing.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sun 12-Jun-16 21:03:12

Talk to the vet, then you will know more.

They can tell you if the dog's in pain and what the prognosis is. From what you've said in your OP it sounds like his time has come, but you will know more tomorrow.

A day too soon is better than a day too late, that much is true.

wageslave Sun 12-Jun-16 21:04:41

We've been there too treacle, it's very hard but if he's ready then it's time to do the best thing for him. We weren't brave enough to do it at the right time for our first dog and with hindsight I think she suffered too much. It wasn't until we got another much younger dog who was full of life and bounce that we realised how we should have let ours go earlier. 💐💐

inamess24 Sun 12-Jun-16 21:06:11

I'm not saying this is what your dog has, but, IF he has cataracts in his eyes, you have to ask yourself this question - with all the other ailments he has, do you think an operation on his eyes will benefit him?

If he has something wrong with his hips (common) but he can't see, would this benefit him?

I know this must be a worrying time, however, the best you can do is make him comfortable. For all we know, he may have a UTI and arthritis which can be treated really easily. Both of these conditions (as we know from humans) can be excruciating, so knowing what is wrong is vital.

Fingers crossed for you all.

hmcAsWas Sun 12-Jun-16 21:06:13

It does rather sound like the best thing would be pts. I have been there and its very difficult, but it is absolutely the right and loving thing to do for you dog in these circumstances

Handsoffmysweets Sun 12-Jun-16 21:07:05

You sound like a really lovely person treacle. He'll know that your not abandoning him, rather doing the right thing by your faithful friend.

treacle84 Sun 12-Jun-16 21:20:21

Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted once he's been to the vets x

AlwaysDancing1234 Sun 12-Jun-16 21:38:39

treacle good luck for the vets tomorrow, you'll know the right thing to do. flowers

treacle84 Mon 13-Jun-16 18:48:29

Update. I spoke to the vets and they agreed with my decision. She said that we know him better than anyone but it sounds like he's already made his decision by himself. He's still not eating and hasn't been for a wee today.

Handsoffmysweets Mon 13-Jun-16 20:37:55

I'm sorry to hear that treacle Lots of fuss and cuddles needed for the old boy and wine and an un mumsnetty hug for you and your family x x

AlwaysDancing1234 Mon 13-Jun-16 20:50:38

So sorry treacle that the time has come. Think of the happy times, he's going to be free of pain and able to run and be happy. flowers

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Mon 13-Jun-16 20:53:23

It looks like his time has come.
Sorry Treacle, it's the kindest thing you can do for him.

QuestionableMouse Mon 13-Jun-16 20:57:08

I'm so sorry. If it helps he'll have no idea whats going to happen. It's just an injection to him.

Jenwen22 Sun 05-Mar-17 10:43:37

Im so sorry you are going through this OP. I would advise doing what your doing by taking him to the vets and go from there. If it is time to say goodbye, then know you gave him a long happy life. Biggest hugs to you, losing a dog is horrific. Big big hugs xx

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 09-Mar-17 12:37:19

Thinking of you OP 💐❤️🐾

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now