Savlon or Sudocreme on a cat wound yes or no ?

(11 Posts)
Laska5772 Sun 20-Mar-16 20:25:54

Lots of conflicting advice on the net about whether either cream is ok .. , the wound is behind his ear so he cant lick off any off but he has been scratching it ..so what started out as a minor scratch and a bit of fur missing 2 days ago is now more..

I could take him to the vet , but he hates going ( panics and gets sick in his box) etc..so would rather not

I thought if I treated it and then got him one of those funnel collars and kept him in for a couple of days that might help....

Wound not deen or infected ( yet) cat purring , seems content and eating well..I have washed the wound with some water and he doesnt mind or flinch at all, its just that hes making more of a mess with it now stratching .

Have you put either antiseptic cream on your cat? What was the result ?

almostthirty Sun 20-Mar-16 20:32:37

I have used savalon on a nasty wound on my guinea pigs ear as it happened on a Saturday. He had been fighting and tore his ear. I put cream on morning and night until I could get him to the vet on Monday. By the time I took him to the vet to get checked out the vet said he didn't need any treatment ad the savalon had kept out any infection and was helping it to heal very quickly.
I also used it on his foot when he ripped out a nail. Again no treatment needed and wound healed up in days.

Micah Sun 20-Mar-16 20:36:21

No to either. Cats are very sensitive to chemicals, even if someone tells you their animal was ok, you might have a different preparation, or a more sensitive cat.

Bathe it with salt water. Boil water, dissolve as much salt in it as you can, cool to bearable, bathe ear.

Laska5772 Sun 20-Mar-16 20:42:22

I have used salt water , so far . I will definately take him to vet if it gets any worse , but if not do you think the collar/ keeping him in idea for a couple of days is a good one ?
He is a very outdoor cat ,so will hate being kept in , but Im not sure how he got this wound, doesnt seem to have any other signs of fighting.. and when he came in with it he didnt seem at all stressed, I really dont think its a cat stratch or bite ..

Laska5772 Sun 20-Mar-16 20:44:43

almostthirty did your vet say anything about the use of savlon on pets?

Thanks micah for your advice.. I will bathe it again I think

bonzo77 Sun 20-Mar-16 20:46:54

Collar and keeping in will do no harm unless he a) escapes with the collar on b) injures himself trying to get collar off. Warm salt water is also harmless. Trim the fur near the wound if you can (I've done my cat with DH's beard trimmer). And sniff the wound. Because if it smells a bit like poo then it's infected and there's much more to it than you can see. My cat had a wound that smelled of poo and it was an abscess that needed cleaning and a drain stitched in.

Laska5772 Sun 20-Mar-16 20:49:38

ok thanks he is out agian , but when he comes back ill give him a good sniff! I dont think its an abcess though.

Wolpertinger Sun 20-Mar-16 20:51:07

Neither. Waste of time on most human wounds too.

almostthirty Sun 20-Mar-16 20:52:48

He said they would have done very similar if I had taken him in. They would have cleaned it and then put antiseptic cream as it was too close to his eyes for spray. As it wasn't bleeding or too wide it didn't need stitching.

Wolfiefan Sun 20-Mar-16 20:53:09

Is be neutered? Fighting is a problem!
Vets I'm afraid. Do you have a mobile one you could use?

Laska5772 Sun 20-Mar-16 20:59:23

Ok , yes he is neutered,, seems to usually avoid fights ( but there is a big ginger tom over the road , who im pretty sure isnt neutered , abut usually doesnt bother mine..)
Yes vets it seems .. I have to get his chip number read anyway , as ive lost the number.. (so we have no pet insurance right now either sad) .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now