Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Introducing cats to a newborn

(13 Posts)
melibu1984 Sun 21-Feb-16 10:56:56

Hello smile

I am currently 23 weeks pregnant, but already mum to two furbabies! They are both 4 years old, and I have had one since he was a kitten.

I have read stuff about introducing cats to babies, but I'm wondering if anyone else has done this, and any tips you might have? smile

Km06 Tue 29-Mar-16 09:50:51

I introduced my dog as she was far more nosy but not my cat he came 2 mark his scent in his own time

Niknak1980 Thu 31-Mar-16 15:49:36

I was really worried about mine as they were feral and can be very shy, in the end I needn't have worried. We let them sniff her and gave them treats when she was first brought home so that they had a positive association with her. Lots of fuss and attention while she slept helped I think and try to give them a quiet spot in the house to go if they decide they want a bit of peace and quiet. We stopped them going into what was the spare room (now nursery) before she was born so that they got used to it. I think we also asked visitors to give them a fuss too smile They adapted so much more quickly than I expected so hopefully yours will too, now she's 10 months and adores them x

MyBreadIsEggy Thu 31-Mar-16 15:58:23

Both of my cats (one has since died sad) were terrified of DD when we brought her home from the hospital! We put the car seat on the living room floor, she made the tiniest squeak and both cat scarpered outside, not to return for 3 days!! When they did finally come back, they didn't pay any interest to her whatsoever. They left the room if she cried but that's as far as it went! Now DD is almost a year old, she chases my remaining cat and terrorises her confused

melibu1984 Fri 10-Jun-16 16:33:44

sorry for the late reply!
thanks, i feel much better now smile my son is due next week. once of my cats is a rescue, and has been around kids before. The other is not, but he is very gentle and a bit of a wuss. I think i will give them some of his clothes to sniff and give them treats when we come home. I fuss over them a lot anyway (they're pretty spoilt lol). so i don't see that changing, and my sister (also a crazy cat lady) will be around to pick up the slack. smile

Bonobosown Fri 10-Jun-16 16:36:07

My two literally didn't give a shit. DS is 12 weeks now and they still don't care. They weren't affected in the slightest as far as I can tell! They sniff him sometimes but show no other interest.

lemoncakes Fri 10-Jun-16 16:54:38

I was really worried about this too but it has been fine. The cat was interested but didn't get too close to DD when she was first born. She looks panicked if DD does her screaming cry but the rest of the time is totally chilled out. When DD was about 14 weeks she started really noticing the cat and has started smiling and chatting to her - so lovely!

We just made sure that we still fussed over the cat loads whenever we weren't dealing with DD.

melibu1984 Sun 19-Jun-16 16:11:01

"She looks panicked if DD does her screaming cry but the rest of the time is totally chilled out."

We think that will be Mo, the gentle wuss :D

imcrackersme Sun 19-Jun-16 16:13:43

While I was still in hospital with the baby my husband took home a bit of clothing the baby had worn so the cat could smell it before we took baby home. He was petrified of her and is still especially as she is crawling him and now chasing him.

pocketsized Sun 19-Jun-16 16:17:33

Our cats kept well out of the way of DD when she was tiny, she is now 15 months and shouts "dat!" at the top of her voice every time she catches sight of them abd they scarper (much to her disappointment, and repeated calls of, progressively louder "dat!")

orangebird69 Sun 19-Jun-16 16:17:36

I've got 5 cats (all ex street/ferals). They all looked a bit miffed. One of them donked the baby on the head when he was in his bouncer. That was it really, not be interested at all. Ds is now 8mo and 2 of them like him/lie on his playmat with him. The others still couldn't give a shit. Enjoy!

MissBattleaxe Sun 19-Jun-16 16:34:31

My cats were totally indifferent to the point of rudeness.

melibu1984 Sun 19-Jun-16 16:38:51

Thanks everyone :D i have showed this thread to my other half, and he is very relieved (he was worrying more than me!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now