Please tell me that Battersea would not give us a pet!

(21 Posts)
Polyethyl Thu 21-Jan-16 19:29:50

We live in a London flat. We work full time, normal office house. For the past 7 years my DH has used this as a reason for me not to get a cat.

But now DD (nearly 3) is saying she wants a little doggy. And suddenly my DH is saying it would be fine to get both a dog and a cat!

If we went to Battersea what would they say?!?

ThisFenceIsComfy Thu 21-Jan-16 19:31:35

They would say no.

Costacoffeeplease Thu 21-Jan-16 19:32:45

No, no and no

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 21-Jan-16 19:33:54

I would hope they tell you to stop being so ridiculous.

Fatfreefaff Thu 21-Jan-16 19:36:06

They will not generally rehome dogs and cats without a garden. Occasionally you get sick cats who can't go out.

Rescues will also not rehome if people are at work all day (especially for dogs) and are often reluctant to send to homes with young kids.

Polyethyl Thu 21-Jan-16 19:37:38

Whimper

I thought so.

But I would so love to have a cat again.

KittyandTeal Thu 21-Jan-16 19:40:42

They might give you a house cat if one fits your life style; as in one that has never been out but is used to small children.

I'd be surprised if they'd let you have a dog

Fatfreefaff Thu 21-Jan-16 19:42:34

I know. I live in a flat and was willing to take on a cat with cat flu but they still would not rehome to me unless I bought screens for sash windows. In the end we adopted an unwanted cat privately she seems happy and contented.

My daughter used to volunteer at an animals home and they were content to leave animals in cages for months on end rather than adopt to people in flats.

CMOTDibbler Thu 21-Jan-16 19:44:07

If you (and not dd) would like a cat, then you could consider adopting an FIV+ve cat. They don't have anymore problems than other cats, but can't go out or mix with other cats, so can only be homed as indoor cats.

A dog would be a very, very, very bad idea.

albertcampionscat Thu 21-Jan-16 19:45:39

North London RSPCA regularly look for homes for indoor only cats.

FilthyRascal Thu 21-Jan-16 19:46:52

I wouldn't get a dog but I think a cat would be fine. Loads of people have indoor cats. My cats have a cat flap and go out to the loo and then run straight back in ASAP looking utterly distraught that they now have cold wet paws which they wipe on my duvet cover
It does seem a bit bonkers that they wouldn't give you a cat in a flat tbh op - is what they're offering there any better?! A 6ft square cage which happens to have a mesh grill facing the outdoors..

Wolfiefan Thu 21-Jan-16 19:50:38

Definitely NO to a dog but an indoor cat could work. Would also have to be older rather than a kitten.

Polyethyl Thu 21-Jan-16 20:03:10

My DH and DD are adamant that if they don't get a doggy then I can't have a pussycat.

I'll work on persuading them.

MeadowHay Sat 23-Jan-16 15:59:29

Lots of RSPCA branches will rehome cats as house cats, subject to a home check, although I don't know if the age of your DD might be a barrier instead though. (My parents rehomed two cats from an RSPCA branch elsewhere that were house-cats previously and my parents have kept them as house cats.)

VimFuego101 Sat 23-Jan-16 16:02:43

There are plenty of rescues that have cats that are indoor only for various reasons. I don't think anywhere would rehome a dog to you though. Cats and dogs have entirely different needs.

LBOCS2 Sat 23-Jan-16 16:03:50

Celia Hammond in London are almost always after indoor only homes for their cats which are FIV+.

Can't help with the dog issue though...!

SuperCee7 Sat 23-Jan-16 16:04:56

You may be able to get a cat somewhere. A dog would be a no, and rightfully so. You cannot have a dog and work full time really.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 26-Jan-16 19:04:40

Why does your DH suddenly decide it's okay to get a cat and a dog?
What has changed his mind that this idea is now feasible?

My DH and DD are adamant that if they don't get a doggy then I can't have a pussycat

Excuse me but when the HELL did 3yo decide?

Look a Gumtree, how many animals are bought for our 5yo/8yo/toddler who lost interest Yes because a child wants something but no 3yo can visualise a lifetime of care for an animal.

TBH, I took your title to mean "Please re-assure me that no thinking rescue would entertain giving us a dog with us living in a flat/having a young child and working FT, and I can tell DH to stop being so ridiculous"

I'm hoping your DH is playing along with your DD and waiting until someone else (the Rescue) tells them.

And unless you all want a cat, I feel you'll feel a bit cheated if you compromise.

SuburbanRhonda Tue 26-Jan-16 19:09:24

My DH and DD are adamant that if they don't get a doggy then I can't have a pussycat.

Then they're reducing your options even more if they want a rescue dog that can live in flat with a cat and a rescue cat that can live in a flat with a dog. With no-one at home all day.

Good luck with that.

timtam23 Wed 27-Jan-16 22:56:20

A dog sounds like a really bad idea in your situation, sorry. Especially if it's on the whim of a 3 year old who wouldn't be doing any of the care.

An indoor cat however, sounds more of a possibility. Not a kitten of course, but an adult cat who has to stay in for health reasons...even my young healthy adult cat spends a lot of the day asleep so I can't see that an adult cat would be that bothered about the flat being empty 9-5, in fact they may like the peace & quiet!

unimaginativename13 Wed 27-Jan-16 23:05:36

Do you own your London flat?

Most places won't rehome to renters or people who live on busy roads.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now