Talk

Advanced search

Miniature Schnauzer, Wire Haired Fox Terrier or Grand Basset Griffon Vendeen?

(13 Posts)
EveryLittleThing Mon 14-Dec-15 20:15:50

Hi MN,

We are desperate for a puppy. DH and I both grew up with dogs and miss them. We have 6 year old DD, mildly ADHD, and have been told that in fact having a dog has been proved beneficial in calming such children. Just not sure what would be a good fit for our family - don't want to make a mistake which would be unfair on dog, dd and ourselves.

We live in London, have a small garden but access to parks round the corner. We just want a real family dog that will be good with DD, nothing too big in size or overly demanding in terms of exercise requirements. Something that is easy to train, easygoing temperament, that we can go to the park with, have fun with, trust to let off the lead.

Have done some research and have fallen in love with Grand Basset Griffon Vendeen or Wire Fox Terrier, but keep hearing conflicting reports as to whether they would be suitable family dogs. Have been recommended to go for a Miniature Schnauzer by many different people. The more I read about these dogs the more confused I am getting. fconfused

Does anyone have any experience of any of these dogs? Which would you recommend ?

Many thanks. X

Slippersandacuppa Mon 14-Dec-15 20:23:27

I don't know much about the other two you've mentioned but mini schnauzer would get my vote any day of the week! We've had several different breeds and have a beautiful female 9 year old now. She's brilliant with the kids (as they are with her - they've been trained to deal with each other appropriately over the years. I still don't fully trust the younger kids with her), doesn't moult, is happy to pootle along on long walks but doesn't mind at all if we don't go out. She'd rather not if it's rainy (or windy, leafy, sunny, snowy!).

Everyone loves her and she looks straight at your eyes to get your attention - she won't let people get away with giving her no fuss. Lovely and calm at home. And she loves a cuddle. She's been like that from the beginning.

Most of ours have been rescues though - we recently rescued a mix breed puppy and she's great too so maybe look into that too? Good luck!

EveryLittleThing Mon 14-Dec-15 20:27:43

Thanks, slippers - your dog sounds lovely! Calm temperament is vital as a major factor is teaching DD to be calm and many people have suggested schnauzers are v calm. Not sure why I am hesitating!

BestIsWest Mon 14-Dec-15 20:31:30

We had a mini Schnauzer for 10 years and he was a wonderful dog. Very family oriented, he had to be in the middle of everything we were doing. He was great with the kids when they were young and could take as much or as little exercise as we threw at him. He was very calm, though he did like to bark a bit. We sadly lost him in August but our new 16 week old schnauzer pup is sleeping on my feet as I type. The other breeds you mention are gorgeous too though I don't have experience of them.

EveryLittleThing Mon 14-Dec-15 20:40:44

Best - thank you - congratulations on your new puppy! It does sound an ideal child-centred family breed, doesn't it ? Would you mind sharing with me via PM details of your breeder (if you recommend)?

BestIsWest Mon 14-Dec-15 21:12:51

I've pm'd you. Good luck.

Slippersandacuppa Mon 14-Dec-15 23:40:55

Yep, lovely dogs. Thought I'd send you a pic - forgot to mention that she's white smile

Slippersandacuppa Mon 14-Dec-15 23:44:16

Sorry!

ottothedog Mon 14-Dec-15 23:53:28

Our schnauzer is very calm/self contained. Love wire haired fox terriers too though!

GiddyGiddyGoat Mon 14-Dec-15 23:55:59

Terriers can be .... little shits rather too full of character. Just saying.

EveryLittleThing Tue 15-Dec-15 09:00:13

Best - thank you, I will def look into that. Slippers wow! completely adorable!! Otto do you know anything about wire fox terriers ? - I seem to always get a lot of useful and practical info about Schnauzers but never anything about the other breeds! I just want to be able to make a valid comparison so I can decide for sure rather than risk always wondering! Giddy - yes, I know what you mean - but we love a bit of term "character" haha!

EveryLittleThing Tue 15-Dec-15 09:01:40

* sorry meant to say "erm" not "term" !

EveryLittleThing Wed 16-Dec-15 22:57:39

Just bumping to see if there is anyone that can tell me about Wire Fox Terriers please? And Grand Bassett Griffon Vendeen?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now