Talk

Advanced search

How the blazes can I stop my cat from crossing the road (at certain times)?

(3 Posts)
do11y Tue 13-Oct-15 19:07:58

You might remember I posted on here sometime back about my new neighbours' cat who took a liking to us and decided to move in. Anyway because the neighbours were often away, I finally had a chat to them about taking kitty off their hands. They were very agreeable and thankful because they knew they weren't spending much time with him. Wife had just had twins and spent all of the Summer in her home town in Croatia.

To cut a long story short, kitty has been an absolute blessing and we love him... but he has discovered 'across the road' and is running over there all the time now. I just witnessed him running across at 18h30 - peak traffic time! The other day he went across at 18h00 and I followed him and stood by the hole in the fence for well into an hour to catch him when he comes out. Thankfully I was able to grab him and carry him back (traffic was horrendous!!) but obviously I will not always be there to do that.

We have tried locking him in until midnight - we know we cannot stop him from going out but if we can limit those hours to between midnight and 06h00 then that would be ok.

He has on occasion gotten very stressed at being locked in, like tonight, hence why I let him out (BIG MISTAKE!). What other tricks do people use to keep cats near the house??

littlecupcake Thu 05-Nov-15 13:16:20

Our cats had limited access to outside, they didn't have a cat flap so they were dependent on us to let them in and out. We used to rattle cat treats and saucers so that they got a treat when they came back. They were happy and I didn't worry about them being out when the traffic was busier. It also meant that I could keep them in when we went out for long periods of time. It worked for us.

LetThereBeCupcakes Thu 05-Nov-15 13:27:03

My parents trained their cats to stay away from the main road by following them down their (long) drive in the car, and is soon as the cats got near the road, putting them in the car and driving them back to the house. They claim they only had to do this 3 or 4 times before the cats stopped heading towards the road. I think it does depend on your cats disliking going in the car though, which theirs did!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: