Talk

Advanced search

is having 3 cats to much ?

(16 Posts)
janice1st Sun 05-Jul-15 22:08:27

We have two cats already and my new partner wants another kitten I would love one but worried 3 cats in one home might be to much ?

Costacoffeeplease Sun 05-Jul-15 22:11:29

Ha ha ha - I have 14 at the moment grin

AlpacaMyBags Sun 05-Jul-15 22:17:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hassled Sun 05-Jul-15 22:21:02

I have 3, and I do think it's too many. Much as I love them, I sort of wish we'd stopped at 2. With 3 there are personality clashes and stresses and more hair than you could imagine - and the cost of the food is insane.

janice1st Sun 05-Jul-15 22:41:16

Omg 14 and there's me worried about 3 smile why so many if you don't mind me asking.

janice1st Sun 05-Jul-15 22:43:07

No if we got one more that would be it definitely don't want to have the same problem you had my cats at moment very loving wouldn't want to change that thanks for reply

janice1st Sun 05-Jul-15 22:45:13

I know that's what I'm telling my partner the hair at moment of cats isn't a great amount but still not great and they eat loads between them so already costs a bit maybe a 3rd isn't such a good idea might have to convince him of a different pet grin

Costacoffeeplease Sun 05-Jul-15 22:56:18

I don't live in the uk, and didn't have cats when we did, just dogs, but there are lots of strays here and we started feeding one, which became three, then someone found a kitten that needed a home, and 12 years later we have 14 (inc kittens that my husband found at 3 weeks old that I hand reared - they're now about 12 weeks!). It helps that our climate is such that most of them are outside a lot of the time, and for most of the year!

janice1st Sun 05-Jul-15 23:01:34

Wow that's really nice to hear that people do care you deserve a pat on the back for being so caring and having that many animals. BBet you pet food bill costs loads [shock

Costacoffeeplease Mon 06-Jul-15 05:44:00

There are lots of us here who take in strays to keep or find homes for - last year my mum and my husband picked up 5 pups who had been born in a field, she kept them for several weeks then started re-homing them, we found great homes for 4 of them and we kept one. My neighbour currently has 3 8-week old pups who were found by a bin (she also has her own 3 rescue dogs and 1 cat), she'll keep them until she finds good homes for them - it's just what we do here!

BeautifulBatman Mon 06-Jul-15 05:58:31

I did have 11 at one point - rescues/fosters etc. I now have 5. But my house is pretty big and if you feed them something half decent like Royal Canin (I know there is better, but not where I am...), the cost is pretty cheap. I go through maybe 10kg of Fit32 every 4-6 weeks. And my cats are a bit chubby blush. It's £45 a bag, so as little as £8 a week is hardly extortionate.

BeautifulBatman Mon 06-Jul-15 06:01:11

Before we moved and reduced to 5, 11 were in the house, approx 20 in my garden, and another 12 at the school where I worked. I was going through 20kg of food a week. Plus neutering strays and medical care. Thank goodness I have an understanding and compassionate DH!

lavendersun Mon 06-Jul-15 06:25:16

I had two cats until a little skeletal stray 'small' had kittens in one of my stables, of course I kept her and had her spayed.

She absolutely ruled the roost (dog included) - tough little cookie who spat and hissed for the first year (was probably barely six months when she found us) but became a lovely little thing.

She didn't change the dynamic at all at home, apart from eating as much as she could because she had been starved, my two others continued to be lap cats etc.

I would probably do it again for a stray but I wouldn't seek a third unless it was homeless.

BabyFeets Mon 06-Jul-15 13:32:39

My mum had 3, was hair everywhere but they were outdoor so it was fine her house didn't smell. I use to have two in a one bed flat again hairy but no smell and not to financially burden

Greyhorses Tue 07-Jul-15 21:44:28

I have 3 cats and find it too much.
I wish I had stopped at 2 to be honest.
Mine have had some squabbles and one of them wees where it shouldn't as it dosent like the other one. The hair is horrendous too.

I just feel like there are cats everywhere sometimes blush
I do have dogs too though so maybe that's ir.

YeOldTrout Tue 07-Jul-15 21:55:16

The oldies will hiss at the kitten & there will be bargies. I have 3, it has worked out ok, not so different from having 2. But kittens are lively things & my third was an old fella.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now