Hermann tortoise

(3 Posts)
llynnnn Tue 23-Jun-15 17:16:21

Hi

On an average week, what do you give your tortoise to eat?

There's such a lot of contradictory advice online, I just wondered in reality how many different foods/weeds do your tortoises have?

Thanks smile

llynnnn Thu 25-Jun-15 06:57:39

Anyone?

qwertina Thu 25-Jun-15 11:54:11

We manage to feed quite a big variety. I grow sedum, campanula, lavatera and opuntia so we always have these. There is a large list of weeds here www.tortoiselady.co.uk/page6.htm so we feed any of these that we find. I would say we manage about 8 - 10 different foods every day. She also sells Pre alpin testudo food that is considered the only good commercial food amongst breeders.
The tortoise table www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp is also very good for information and if you are unsure about a plant, you can upload a photo to their Facebook page and they will tell you whether it's safe.
I never feed any fruit or vegetables.
Shelled warriors ebay shop sells many seeds you can plant in your garden, they are mainly weeds so we have a dedicated weed area in ours and also plant them in the outdoor enclosure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now