Advanced search

Pet insurance- discuss

(8 Posts)
Millionairerow Wed 17-Jun-15 20:59:21

My dogs are just over 8 years old and phew the jump in premiums have gone through roof. Is the insurance worth it? Claimed £400 on it a couple of years ago but had it for 8 years paying roughly £400 per year but gone up to £650.�� am getting in better financial standing with kids going to school and would not prolong life if any were unnecessarily suffering- dilemma?

ApplesTheHare Wed 17-Jun-15 21:07:10

You have to ask yourself if you'd be happy to have a dog pts if it develops something treatable but very expensive.

We insure our animals but BIL and family didn't on the basis/assumption that treatment costing over a certain threshold would be prolonging suffering. Unfortunately their 2-year-old dog recently developed a fairly simple problem with his neck that cost 6 grand to fix and they couldn't bring themselves to put him down so have had to borrow the money to have scans and pay for drug treatment. Dog is fine but they're struggling to pay back this loan and wishing they insured dog originally as he's now uninsurable. Hth!

Pumpeedo Wed 17-Jun-15 21:10:06

Our vet said that any genetic conditions usually present before 4 years. Thereafter you need to work out the risk of yearly premiums against what treatment would cost. Personally I wouldn't put my beloved dog thro chemo, etc so decided to stop policy.

EauRouge Thu 18-Jun-15 07:45:43

Doesn't dog insurance also include 3rd party cover? Like if your dog bit someone or damaged someone's property and they sued you, it would cover some of that. I would think that alone was worth carrying on.

Pumpeedo Thu 18-Jun-15 09:33:31

Our household insurance provides third party cover for our dog. It also provides cover for the DCs, say for example they damaged someone's property by mistake.

EauRouge Thu 18-Jun-15 11:14:34

Oh thanks, I didn't know that it might be covered by home insurance. I'll have to check ours.

CaTsMaMmA Thu 18-Jun-15 11:17:52

dh was tuttering about ours the other day...we're okay for another year or two, but one of the boys has early onset arthritis, so is on daily meds

His policy jumped up to £400 this year, so dh was thinking about checking out the 3rd party thing elsewhere and doing some comparisons.

We're still breaking even though atm.

kimbasmum Thu 18-Jun-15 14:49:17

Certainly is a tricky dilemma. I chose to cancel my policy for my 9 yr old because if push came to shove I could afford as much as my policy would pay out anyway...

Btw ..if your household contents does not cover third party liability then an alternative is to join the Dogs Trust who provide third party cover for all your dogs for just the price of annual membership (£20?)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: