Talk

Advanced search

2 cats and a dog in a flat??

(9 Posts)
11molly2013 Mon 09-Mar-15 13:42:53

So I'm new to MN and would like some advise please.
I currently live in a first floor flat with DH and our 2 cats. I have GAD (anxiety disorder) which I take medicine for but before we start trying for a baby I'd like to be able to get myself off the pills. To get to the point basically I want to get a dog to help get me out of the flat and to get walking/exercising, but my DH is not keen on the idea of getting a dog in the flat and thinks we should wait til we get a house (which Btw will be quite a few years away).
What are your opinions on this?
Sorry for the rambling!

11molly2013 Mon 09-Mar-15 13:46:56

Sorry forgot to say the getting me out and walking part is hard at the moment because of panic attacks and so if I had to go out every day it would get my anxiety to a manageable state.

Booboostoo Mon 09-Mar-15 14:13:51

I can't comment on your anxiety and the dog as I have no experience on this.

However, a dog in a flat is always hard work. You would need to give the dog two very good walks a day and take him out at other times for toilet which would be quite hard work. (I am assuming you are thinking of an adult dog not a puppy - toilet. Training a puppy in a flat must be very demanding).

You should also consider the space you have and whether it can accommodate three animals. If any of the animals feel crowded by the others in the space they may develop behavioural problems like peeing in inappropriate places.

Finally if you are thinking of trying for a baby how will you cope with pregnancy and a newborn with a dog? A lot of people manage fine, but it is quite a bit of extra work and if I could avoid it I would not time a new baby and a new dog all at the same time.

Adarajames Mon 09-Mar-15 16:22:03

As above, but also, would it help you get out or would it be one more pressure making you anxious? Such as feeling that you have to go out to take the dog but really don't feel like you can, and get more stressed and anxious on that thought circle?
Dogs are a big responsibility, even more so in flats / small spaces as will need more time to be taken out than if can pop in garden as needed along issue daily walks; maybe you could think about fostering for a rescue? That way, if it isn't aomethin you can cope with at present, the dog goes to another foster and won't need rehoming in same way as if you get a dog but then can't cope?

Daisyroll Mon 09-Mar-15 19:39:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

honeyroar Tue 17-Mar-15 00:54:45

It's not fair to use a dog to hopefully solve your anxiety and prepare you for a baby, you need to be sure that you are capable of getting out and walking it before you get it. Otherwise the poor dog will end up in a rescue through no fault of its own. Sorry but that's not fair. I hope you can get over your anxiety, but don't risk letting a dog down. It would be less of a risk if you were in a house with a garden, but you're not.

scurryfunge Tue 17-Mar-15 01:06:18

Could you volunteer to walk other people's dogs as a means of getting out of the house?

Dorioneill Sat 06-Jun-15 00:35:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

FatSwan Sat 06-Jun-15 00:42:59

I have anxiety, and had my dog and my baby while living in an apartment. I don't recommend it.

If I was having a tough night and day with the baby, my poor dog would miss walks. My DH worked very long hours and commuted. There was no room for her to let off steam outside on the terrace.

It made me worry and feel guilty and sad on top of adjusting to parenthood.

I'd do one or the other-dog or baby. That's a lot to take on at once.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now