Advanced search

Cat insurance for elderly cat?

(5 Posts)
rollonthesummer Mon 05-Jan-15 11:32:10

Our cat is 18 and I've just had the renewal documents through-the premium has nearly doubled! They want £23 a month which seems such a lot. She's had a good innings (RSPCA rescue) and DH is of the opinion that should she get something awful now, she's doddery and it would be kinder to put her to sleep rather than operating/giving her drugs etc

I've looked online as I know they bump premiums up but it doesn't seem to be much cheaper. We're with More Than now.

What should we do?!

shovetheholly Tue 13-Jan-15 15:52:49

Argh, insurance. It's a nightmare, isn't it? I feel your pain.

Yes, your cat is getting on a bit and the chances of her getting through surgery might be reduced. Yes, with older cats you do have to start thinking - what is the quality of life she will have with the treatment?

On the other hand, I don't think you can say 'If something happens, we'll definitely put the cat down'. What if it's just a minor ailment? What if you need investigations to determine whether it's a minor ailment or something major - blood tests, ultrasounds etc can be expensive!? As can pills if you need to sort something minor that is nonetheless life-threatening if untreated.

ALSO, when you do come to make that horrible decision about euthanasia, you want to be able to make it thinking only of the cat's best interests and not cost. For your own wellbeing as well as that of the cat.

As for insurance: it depends on your financial circumstances. If you don't have much in the bank for a rainy day, I would keep the insurance running. If you do have a cushion, I'd maybe cancel the insurance but keep paying the money into a savings account so you have it ready in the event you need it.

worldgonecrazy Tue 13-Jan-15 15:58:48

I had an insurance quote for an elderly cat, and the woman on the end of the phone was very honest. I had to list all the illnesses/accidents/injuries that the cat had received through its life. She gave me a quote. I asked her about the likelihood of the insurance paying out in the event of a claim. She admitted there was very little chance of that!

Put the £23 into a bank account every month.

EddieVeddersfoxymop Tue 13-Jan-15 15:59:43

Our cats are 15 and 14. We can't change insurer for one of them as she has ongoing bladder issues and it wouldn't be covered by a new insurer as its a pre existing condition. Worth bearing that in mind. We are with petplan for both of them, cost is around £20 each. One cat has used her insurance a lot, so it's worth in my opinion. Especially when she was seriously ill just before xmas one year and we got slapped with a £700 bill after 3 nights in intensive care sad

SylvaniansKeepGettingHoovered Mon 02-Feb-15 20:54:15

I don't have insurance for my elderly cat, aged 16, as it became too expensive. I do have money put by incase. I do think they get to a certain age where you would probably take the decision not to put them through surgery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now