Talk

Advanced search

Anyone keep snails and can recommend me a tank ?

(9 Posts)
kormachameleon Sat 27-Dec-14 00:07:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Leela5 Sat 27-Dec-14 08:32:10

Exo terra do good plastic enclosure that have ventilation - you want it to stay moist but not encourage mould. Pets at home sell them I think. Size - consider that it's the animals only environment - here's a care sheet http://www.rspca.org.uk/ImageLocator/LocateAsset?asset=document&assetId=1232716695297&mode=prd

Leela5 Sat 27-Dec-14 08:32:52

You will need to be prepared to destroy eggs if they are laid otherwise you'll end up with thousands

kormachameleon Sat 27-Dec-14 11:17:12

Leela5 Sat 27-Dec-14 18:40:57

The eggs aren't babies until they hatch. With snails I'd probably go for around 60cm x 40cm x 40cm but check that fact sheet I linked to. You don't need massive enclosure but large enough that they can have space to move about freely, that it doesn't become too dirty too quickly and is ventilated. I can't remember what size Exo terra go up to but I think their 45x45x60cm should be fine for two snails.

Leela5 Sat 27-Dec-14 18:44:25

The egg question is difficult - some people would say as soon as there is embryo then it's a living creature. It's very much personal ethics. I look at it from point if view of animal welfare - I would rather quickly euthanise an egg with embryo by freezing/crushing than have thousands of baby snails who may then just need to be euthanised due to lack of homes later. It's very personal

kormachameleon Sun 28-Dec-14 01:26:35

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Sun 28-Dec-14 01:56:31

If you don't want to deal with freezing the eggs, you will have thousands of snails in a very short period of time. So I wouldn't bother getting snails at all, as you will never find homes for the amount of snails you will end up with:

Leela5 Sun 28-Dec-14 07:12:52

If you're not prepared to freeze them then crushing is the most humane and quick way to deal with the eggs. There's no evidence at all that invertebrates feel pain in same way as vertebrates, which is why they are not covered under the animal welfare act.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now