Talk

Advanced search

Budgie Advice

(4 Posts)
natureplantar101 Fri 26-Dec-14 19:02:53

Anyone on here got a budgie ? im looking to get a pair from the same litter next month but not sure on a few things
1. how easy is it to clean up poo when they are flying around the house and playing on the floor with toys
2. how easy is it for them to escape through the door if it's left open a little
3. what foods do they like to have apart from avia and millet ? can they have fruits or people food in moderation ?

Leela5 Sat 27-Dec-14 08:36:18

Buy a book on budgie care before you get one and it will help you - pdsa have diet info here http://www.pdsa.org.uk/pet-health-advice/budgerigars/diet

Don't leave door open if you don't want them to escape - kind of common sense smile they will explore cage so gaps will likely be found

Namechangeyetagaintohide Thu 01-Jan-15 01:40:11

Hi
I have a budgie.

First please pleas never have a door or window open when they are flying free. They will get out they are very inquisitive.

Budgies can make great but demanding pets. Then can require a surprising amount of attention.

2 are better than one if you want to be less hands on as they will bond with each other. They can still be tamed and allowed to fly round but it will be slightly more tricky.

If you want to train it to talk you would be best with a male bird kept alone. But then you will have to give him a lot of attention as he will need you to be his flock. Several hours a day out if cage time with you.

The poo...is easy to clean up and very small but they poo a lot. I'm talking every 10 minutes. And moult feathers and drop seed everywhere. They are messy buggers. And they chew everything. Wallpaper,letters, phone cases, any food you leave lying around, paintwork and furniture.

But they are so sweet and can be very affectionate and loving. You. An teach them to talk, to give kisses, to fly to you when you call - all sorts.

I would recommend the budgie forum talk budgies. Just google it. There is so much advice on there about behaviour,diet and training.

Diet wise a pellet based diet is best but a lot of them won't eat it or have to be persuaded as they don't view the pellets as food. My budgie and I have reached a standoff in this respect. They like green salad items and most veg as well as fruit (well supposedly but mine is having none of it)

Don't feed people food it's bad for them. Only veg/fruit. Mine has a nibble it a cracker or crisp from time to time but he really shouldn't. He goes mad for them when I'm eating them though blush.

Does that help ?

Namechangeyetagaintohide Thu 01-Jan-15 05:17:11

Please excuse typos. I have fat fingers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now