Talk

Advanced search

Do we get a dog now or after we've had our family?

(8 Posts)
Doje Mon 22-Dec-14 19:30:24

Looking for advice and experiences please.

I'm married, currently have a 10 mo, will hopefully get pregnant again this year, and possibly a third after that.

My DH and I both would love a Springer Spaniel, but are unsure when the best time is to do it. Do we do it now, so we'd have at least 9 months to train pup before we have a newborn, and this way we and the kids get the joy of them growing up with a dog, or would it be best to wait until the youngest child is old enough and then get a dog?

Please let me know all experiences, good and bad, and chuck all and any advice my way!!

BiscuitsofYum Mon 22-Dec-14 19:39:07

Only you know how much work you can put into a puppy, but springers can need a lot of work and can be excitable..
When I was younger we had a springer and she was beautiful, but she was a bouncing thing and I was terrified of her (I was about 6). My mum got pregnant with my younger sister and had a good pregnancy, but as she got bigger the springer pulled the lead one day and she dislocated her hip putting her in bed rest for the rest of the pregnancy.. She struggled then keeping up with the training and it was a bit of a disaster!

If you do decide on getting a dog, you will have to be strict on training from day one of getting it. Only you know how you will cope with it when pregnant but bare in mind each pregnancy is different. What happens if you get spd? All things you have to think about especially with a dog with so much energy!

wherehasthatdoggone Mon 22-Dec-14 19:39:52

I had a 12 month old cocker when my son was born. it was a nightmare. wait!

Doje Mon 22-Dec-14 19:51:50

Hmmm, thanks for the replies. That's a great point about pregnancies not being the same. My first one was really easy, but a bout of SPD on the next would really put a spanner in the works.

Mummyinamask Mon 22-Dec-14 19:57:47

Wait! Puppies are full on - and springers are lively and need a lot of attention and exercise ime.

Get the dog when you can focus on it - otherwise you run the risk of a dog with issues.

We got dog and then had dcs. Wrong way round, much as I love them all. Not sure dog has ever got over being usurped. I know that's not your situation - just where I'm coming from!

Good luck whatever you decide.

financialwizard Mon 22-Dec-14 20:04:27

Definitely wait. Young children and puppies together can be really hard work.

Doje Mon 22-Dec-14 20:26:27

Bugger, that's fairly unanimous. Not what I wanted to hear, but glad I asked. Best get on with having babies so I can finally get a dog!

Springcleanish Mon 22-Dec-14 20:35:04

We had an 18 month dog when I had my son, the dog was always my shadow, she protected the kids and essentially grew up with them, but they were never interested in her and vice versa. By the time my son was ten and able to take an active part in her life, walking etc, she was twelve and arthritic.
Sadly she was PTS 18 months ago, and we now have an 18 month springer cross.she is the one really growing up with the kids (15 and 11) as they are both of an age they take a full role in walking and care. As a result she is a real family dog.
I guess I'm saying, if you get a dog now it will be yours not the kids, if you want it to feel like the kids dog you'll have to wait a good few years. Even my youngest at ten didn't like the pup at first, once those sharp teeth dug in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now