Talk

Advanced search

my dog is vomiting, lethargic and having bloody diahoreah, very worried

(24 Posts)
kaylasmum Mon 03-Nov-14 13:54:09

My 17 month old dog had been unwell since yesterday. Being sick, diahoreah which has now become bloody, very lethargic and refusing to eat or drink. Have been managing to get water into her with a medicine syringe. The vomit is bright yellow.

I have a vet approach for her this afternoon but I'm really worried and hoping someonecould maybe help with some advice in the meantime

kaylasmum Mon 03-Nov-14 13:54:54

Appt!

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 03-Nov-14 13:56:13

Is your dog vaccinated? How long have you had her? Has she been in contact with other dogs lately? I'd call and get appointment brought forward

DillydollyRIP Mon 03-Nov-14 13:57:55

Poor thing. Trying fluids is good, does it sound like parvo symptoms?
Hopefully she'll be ok soon.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 03-Nov-14 13:58:54

She needs seeing asap. Have you looked round your house? Is anything chewed. Was a cupboard left open could she have eaten something. Have you had guests?

Where's all your halloween sweets and chocolates? Is it all still there

goldencity1 Mon 03-Nov-14 14:03:57

I think you need to see your vet - when is your appointment? Could she have eaten something? Have you "missed" some chocolate? Does any thing look chewed? Could she have got at/been given any thing poisonous like slug pellets or rat bait?

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 03-Nov-14 14:06:04

Just remembered raisins and the like are poisonous too. Check your Xmas stash

kaylasmum Mon 03-Nov-14 14:10:01

She's a little overdue her booster. There's no evidence of her having eaten anything that she shouldn't but I do have cats that tend to catch mice and leave bits lying about, so that's a possibility. Can't get a sooner apt, I don't drive and don't want to take her on public transport and she won't be up to walking. I'm taking here when my do gets home

kaylasmum Mon 03-Nov-14 14:11:21

Appt is at five

Floralnomad Mon 03-Nov-14 14:12:30

Can the vet not do a home visit earlier than 5 .

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 03-Nov-14 14:13:00

Can your dh come back early? She needs seeing before 5. Taxi? Can the vet say she's gone down hill

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 03-Nov-14 14:14:25

Is her stomach really bloated?

Could be gastric torsion

sounds alot like parvo to

tabulahrasa Mon 03-Nov-14 14:16:55

Can you get a lift from someone else? Taxi companies usually have taxi drivers willing to take dogs (I've used them for vets visits before I could drive)

lemisscared Mon 03-Nov-14 14:21:57

Is she dehydrated? You can check this by pinching some skin. If it all pops back into place then she usnt. If it takes a while then she is dehydrated and could do with fluids before five. Given your situation id not be panicking before five just yet. It sounds like a really nasty enteritis but some antibiotics and fluids will have her on the mend. Also check the colour of gums (should be nice and pink and go straight pink if you put a bit of pressure on them). If colour is not good then it is emergency bit i doubt this will happen.

She feels terrible like we all do with tummy bug. But its scary because they can't tell us just how bad.

If she doesn't respond if you call her. Again emergency but its only a few hours til her appointment nowand far better to have transport

kaylasmum Mon 03-Nov-14 14:29:31

Have checked her skin and gums and everything seems ok there. She is responding to me but really does'nt want to move. I would get a taxi buy have no cash on me at the moment do that's not an option.

lemisscared Mon 03-Nov-14 14:46:38

She sounds ok. Obviously needs to be seen but chances are you'd not be seen before your appointment time anyway. Do call them if you are worried though. I hope she feels better soon poor poppet

MrsDeVere Mon 03-Nov-14 14:53:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kaylasmum Mon 03-Nov-14 15:22:50

Her stomach seems ok, not bloated and she's not guarding it

MrsDeVere Mon 03-Nov-14 17:38:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lemisscared Mon 03-Nov-14 17:59:23

How is she?

Cluffyflump Mon 03-Nov-14 18:02:10

Hope she's ok.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 03-Nov-14 18:12:57

Hope she's ok

kaylasmum Mon 03-Nov-14 19:01:23

Hi, the vet thinks it's something she's picked up. She was given 2 injections and I've got antibiotics, registration sachets and a binder for her stomach. Hopefully she'll start to pick up now. Thanks to everyone for the concern

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 03-Nov-14 19:04:06

Hope she recovers soon. Poor baby. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now