Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about getting a cat: cost, responsibilities, needs etc

(10 Posts)
Moln Sat 08-Feb-14 13:48:51

I grew up with cats but I've never been the responsible adult.

How are cats on their own? I work so it'll be home alone till around 2.30 five days a week.

I will be getting the cat from the local rescue centre if we decide we are subtitle to get one.. Id be aiming for one that is 1ish to 2ish obviously depends on the cats at the time that though!!

Dromedary Sat 08-Feb-14 23:48:20

Make sure you get a friendly, easy going cat.
Cats are very easy IME. We have one cat, from a cat shelter when she was about 2. She had spent her life to date among other cats, but has been totally fine on her own. She is allowed into the conservatory, where there is food and bedding, during the day, and spends most of her time with us while we are here. Loves being outside and inside. The only problem we have had is that she catches a lot of rodents and birds, and sometimes brings them inside.
She is alone for most of every day. We also leave her on her own for up to a few days - eg long weekend to go on holiday.
Needs injections once a year.
She is very self sufficient and happy.

DietofWorms Sat 08-Feb-14 23:52:55

It will be fine by itself while you are at work. Cats are pretty self-sufficient.

I'm glad you want to get one from a rescue centre. I got my old boy (who was the best cat ever) from the RSPCA and not only was he so wonderful and loving, it's always made me happy that we gave him his 'forever home'. He was v happy with us, I think.

cashewfrenzy Sat 08-Feb-14 23:53:32

Cats are fine alone. Many don't like other cats and prefer it. They do need stimulation and environmental enrichment especially if they are indoor pets. Toys, food games and furniture/scratching opportunities are important.

Cost wise they are cheap to run provided they are healthy. Food, preventative healthcare including vaccines and parasite prevention, and insurance are things to consider. Also boarding costs if you go away.

mydoorisalwaysopen Sun 09-Feb-14 00:36:28

I reckon my cat costs about £700 per year. No insurance but in boarding 2-3 weeks a year and has a special diet. Got her from the rescue center aged 8/9. lovely cat. Very happy to be at home on her own all day but seems to love our company when we're in. Also very tolerant of the children.

porthtowanone Sun 09-Feb-14 10:34:08

Our cat of 5 yrs has went missing on Thursday ,we believe he went in a van out of nosiness ,got locked in and driven away ,we are all devastated ,it will be a miracle if we get him back ,all I would say is, now I would only have a house cat ,its too upsetting when things like this happen ,don't want to put a downer on your thread but when cats go out its a risk you take ,we are learning the hard way x

Dromedary Sun 09-Feb-14 18:51:53

To reduce the risk of losing a cat, you can have a chip inserted. In fact our rescue cat already had this.

Moln Wed 12-Feb-14 17:58:45

Oh I'm sorry to read that portowamone

Thanks for the info everyone

The rescue place microchips all the animals in their care. So that's good

fluffydressinggown Wed 12-Feb-14 18:05:30

We adopted a young cat from the RSPCA last year, it has been brilliant, she has settled so well and we have avoided the mad kitten behaviour! We paid £70 which was great value considering she came to us flea-ed, wormed, neutered and chipped

She is fine being at home alone, she just curls up and goes to sleep. Food is pretty inexpensive and tbh she really doesn't cost us that much. We pay for insurance which for us was an essential.

excitedmummytobe Mon 17-Feb-14 16:36:25

i adopted a 9 month old cat who is now 3. in hindsight it was the perfect age because he was young enough to mould into the animal to suit the household. I always knew id have children so i always played about with him like a child would and now hes so placid and he even lives with a dog (theyre like brothers its sweet the dogs quite big too!) when you get cats above the year mark they can be set in their ways so be careful if they arent used to children or other animals you may have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now