Talk

Advanced search

should we replace our cat?

(8 Posts)
Cakehead Tue 23-May-06 07:59:19

One of our cats was hit by a car on Saturday and killed. He was one of a pair of brothers, and only three years old. Our road is pretty quiet, but they've put speed humps in over the last year and people are actually driving faster down it now, to get over the humps. I don't know whether to replace the cat or not. I have to say, this particular cat had no road-sense at all - I'd seen him have a few near-misses. His brother doesn't cross the road at all. We have a nine-month-old baby who was just starting to really enjoy seeing the pair of them playing, etc. The other cat is pining a bit, wandering round the house at night, calling for his brother. Do you think we should get another? I'm actually really devastated about losing him - keep wondering why I'm crying, as I know I've got a lot to be grateful for, our beautiful LO, for example. The remaining cat is pretty friendly to other cats - he's not territorial as such.

morningpaper Tue 23-May-06 08:00:39

Could do - maybe not a kitten though, they are more trouble than a newborn baby!

Why not?

Piccalilli Tue 23-May-06 08:08:09

Cakehead - so sorry about your cat, we lost our cat (also one of brothers, also three years old) when I was three months pregnant and it took me several months to really get over it. Personally, though, I'd recommend waiting a while before you get another cat - you'll probably find that your other cat will settle down fairly soon (ours did after a couple of weeks of pining) and he might not take too kindly to you 'replacing' his brother so soon. Also, you're lucky if you had two cats who you could trust round your little one - our remaining cat is a bit vicious, 9 month old dd is fascinated by him so I'm constantly having to keep them apart so he doesn't bite or scratch her when she gets inquisitive. We didn't know he had a vicious streak when we adopted him. So I'd suggest waiting a couple of months and seeing how you feel then.

Piffle Tue 23-May-06 08:34:56

Sorry about your cat Cakehead.
We've lost 3 cats on a nearby road, not busy but the traffic is usually trucks...
WE have our last cat Thelma remaining, her sister Louise was killed last year, we lost our older cat Charlie last year as well, when we first moved here we had Charlie and Pepper, peper was killed within a few weeks. I do not know how Thelma has avoided being killed, I am also ready to rehome her as I am so sure it will happen.
FWIW Thelma adjusted really well to being Top Cat.

wannaBe1974 Tue 23-May-06 09:22:25

tbh I wouldn't replace the cat as company for the other one as cats are generally very teratorial and it's unlikely that your existing cat would welcome another in with open paws.

fennel Tue 23-May-06 09:34:11

i would consider a young cat or kitten as company for the remaining cat. we lost one of our 3 cats on a road and didn't replace him but we still had two and were about to have another baby at the time.

we are still sad about losing that cat and it's nearly 3 years ago now, he was our favourite cat. we cried quite a bit at the time.

LilacBump Tue 23-May-06 09:41:16

i'm sorry you lost your cat. we also had two brothers, got them together as kittens. after about a year one of them died and DP found him in the back garden. DD was about 2 then. we didn't replace him. our cat changed after that. from a really scared cat to one DD could fuss and handle. he has been taking over the role of the one that died as he was much more into being handled by a toddler and playful.
recently our cat disappeared for 2 months and came back yesterday. we did think of getting a kitten then as DD took it badly and the house was very empty without a cat.

Cakehead Tue 23-May-06 14:43:53

Thanks for replies. Our remaining cat is quite friendly to other cats and dogs, even. He's abyssinian. I think I'll wait and see how we feel once all our summer holidays are over. Sorry to hear from those who've lost other cats. Does make you feel v. miserable, doesn't it?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: