Talk

Advanced search

help...does anyone have GOATS??

(21 Posts)
malodorantemelly Sat 20-May-06 17:56:49

we have 3 pygmy goats (which are the cutest things in the world!)

One gave birth last night, and babe is ok, but when she tries to feed from mum, she just gets a couple of sucks before mum moves her back leg over her and walks off. Does this mean the baby is not getting enough? How long before we panic, I know that the colostrum is needed essentially in the 1st 24 hours, and then preferably to feed at least 2 weeks or so. We do not want to milk the mum, we want baby to feed naturally, so I need to know how long we wait?
Mum is 1 year old and I presume this is her first baby. But she is protective of her, and they are always close together, so are the signs good or bad?

2ndtime Sun 21-May-06 00:11:03

I only have experience of cows and sheep, but if the kid is hungry, i.e.looking to feed frequently, I would hold mum still while it got a belly full. If this is a first baby it may take a while for mum to get the hang of things, but once she realises that feeding her baby makes her feel much more comfortable she will oblige and stand still. You are right re. colostrum, and if she wont feed baby at all milking mum may be the best thing as without the vital nutrients in colostrum your kid is left open to all sorts of problems. Even if you give an expressed bottle for the first time or two it shouldnt stop mum from feeding when the penny drops. Good luck.xx

malodorantemelly Tue 23-May-06 09:31:14

Thanks, both seem to be getting the hang of it now, mum is staying more still and babe is trying when she wants to. Still only feeding for very short times, but is bright and alert.

New problem now.... Both mum and baby have diarrhea (ahh spelling!), do I call the vet?

cod Tue 23-May-06 09:33:21

Message withdrawn

malodorantemelly Tue 23-May-06 09:49:58

it is a serious bloody question cod, so unless you have something of any importance to add, piss off my thread!

Tutter Tue 23-May-06 09:51:34

i thought it said coats

expatinscotland Tue 23-May-06 09:57:45

i think i'd at least phone the vet. it's possible it's just a postpartum thing.

handlemecarefully Tue 30-May-06 21:57:14

Hi,

How is the kid doing now?

And when things have settled a bit, can I pick your brains about pigmy goats?

LadyCodofCOdford Tue 30-May-06 21:57:44

i want goats

LadyCodofCOdford Tue 30-May-06 21:58:18

i was being srious last time

handlemecarefully Tue 30-May-06 21:59:06

Hmmmmm - do you?

Actually, in all seriousness I do.

Have had the chickens for over a year now, dog is now 5 months old and very easy to look after. I need a new challenge.

brimfull Tue 30-May-06 22:01:54

think this should be in the breastfeeding section.
nct for goats?

expatinscotland Tue 30-May-06 22:02:51

My sister now has a goat.

She's got a mini-farm, actually.

handlemecarefully Tue 30-May-06 22:06:18

Ummm - Expat any chance she might exchange a few emails with some random wierdy from mumsnet(me) who is hoping to acquire a couple of goats (pigmy goats) and wants to ask a few questions about it?

expatinscotland Tue 30-May-06 22:08:59

she's in the US, HMC. she sort of happened upon this goat, although she had been wanting one for a while and her husband didnt b/c they've already got: 3 hens, 3 cats, 2 dogs, 3 rabbits, 4 guinae pigs and 2 hamsters.

Oh, and a HUGE garden and chicken run.

But they live out in the boonies and a farmer friend of theirs offered her a female kid. Her name is Dakota and she's VERY cute.

But she chews. A lot.

It's a good thing their garden is surrounded by a chain link fence and they live on 3 acres.

handlemecarefully Tue 30-May-06 22:12:30

I've got similar pet owning aspirations to your sister (minus the cats - allergic!)

expatinscotland Tue 30-May-06 22:22:25

she's a nut about animals, HMC. she's a teacher, too. her husband keeps telling her 'no more animals', but it never works.

that's why when they moved last year they bought a bigger plot of land. he busted his ass building a sort of shed/house/coop for them all from a kit, complete w/concrete foundation, and now she's saying she wants a cockrel, too!

all of her animals are from rescue shelters and they're well loved by her and her two girls.

BIL won't admit it, but he loves 'em, too.

handlemecarefully Tue 30-May-06 22:26:30

I think - if you are lucky enough to have the space to house them, owning a variety of pets is quite good for children too...

expatinscotland Tue 30-May-06 22:29:13

land is dirt cheap where they live - outside houston, TX.

BILs dad died last year and left them a fair amount of money, so they were able to trade suburbia for a bit of space, which they'd always wanted.

BIL grew up on a farm, so he likes being out in the boonies.

southeastastra Tue 30-May-06 22:52:54

i want a goat too!

southeastastra Tue 30-May-06 22:59:26

no sorry i dont want a goat,

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: