Talk

Advanced search

how much water does your dog drink?

(11 Posts)
wannaBe1974 Tue 16-May-06 16:42:20

hiya

Have just got new dog on Friday, he's a lab retriever cross and is approx 18 months old. He's lovely, but one thing that I've noticed about him is that he drinks a tremendous amount of water. He's not constantly looking for water, so i don't think it's a health problem as such, but when he does have a drink he drinks loads. In comparison to my other dog who drinks very little. Someone did tell me once that some dogs will drink all the water just because it's there, does anyone else have a dog who drinks a lot?

sweetmonkey Tue 16-May-06 16:43:35

how big/small is your other one? maybe yr comparing by their intake?

mine used to drink quite a bit, i had a retreiver, sometimes used to think he'd never stop

Alipiggie Tue 16-May-06 16:45:52

My lab-cross drinks about bowl in 2days (large bowl) but we're at high altitude and warm now. I wouldn't worry as long as he's peeing okay. Better to drink too much than too little like mine did and then she was prone to bladder infections. aaaggh

brimfull Tue 16-May-06 16:47:33

my dog hardly drank any when she was younger ,she's 11 now and drinks much more,about 2 bowls a day.She's a medium build dog,as big as a lab but light as a feather.

LadyTophamHatt Tue 16-May-06 16:50:04

hardly nothing out of her water bowl but will drink dirty filthy pond water, muddy puddles, sea water.....

strange creature

buffythenappyslayer Tue 16-May-06 16:52:02

mine drinks a hell of alot aswell!but with him,as soon as its gone in hes outside for a pee,then comes in for a drink again!!weird dog!!

sugarfree Tue 16-May-06 16:52:10

Mine drinks out of the toilet given the chance.
Lovely white teeth from the bleach.

buffythenappyslayer Tue 16-May-06 16:53:03

pmsl!got visions of a dog with a hollywood smile!!

yeahinaminute Tue 16-May-06 17:38:40

My springador drinks loads - BUT - it has to be fresh ... he just loiters around until I change the bloody water that has only been in the bowl for 10 minutes - little git !!
But stagnant pool, muddy puddle - dives straight in !!

wannaBe1974 Tue 16-May-06 18:05:11

lol at white teeth.

both dogs are same size approx, one is lab and one is a cross.

but yeh most will drink disgusting water, same with picking up nasty things t eat in parks etc, and then vets go on about how one must be very careful to change their food etc because of their sensitive tummies! lol.

Having said that my lab has very sensitive digestion as had severe pancreatitis last year and since then lots of things make her sick.

Frenchgirl Tue 16-May-06 18:09:42

my Lakeland terrier is a fussy drinker, doesn't drink a lot and likes to play with his water bowl until there's water all over the floor
little git

he's not keen on drinking from bowls at other people's houses.......
doesn't drink from puddles either

oooooh he's soooo refined

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: