Talk

Advanced search

Hamster experts again please?

(8 Posts)
maturer Wed 10-May-06 20:54:03

Not really the home pet type but got a hamster for Dh and got on well, cute little thing, got used to being handled....then in time it died.
Just got another one but it doesn't seem to want to be handled and bites you if you try. We've done the same as the last time , taken it gradually, a few minutes at a time etc etc but no it bites!!!! have managed to train it to get in and out of cage into ball but it will let you stroke it however no way will it let you pick it up!
Any tips? were we just lucky with the first one?

maturer Wed 10-May-06 20:55:10

oops meant to say got hamster for DD (DH not that childish....or perhaps....!)

Goldfish Wed 10-May-06 21:59:33

My ds has had a hamster for nearly 2 years now. I remember when we first got him we were told not to handle him for the first 2 weeks. We must have got him out to clean his cage though. There is a website ds goes on www.hamstercare.co.uk which tells you how to look after them.

Hermit Tue 16-May-06 13:56:44

As an owner of several hamsters we have found that some do not tame as easily as others. Most will come round to gentle handling in the end if you persevere. Check that the hamster is not in any pain - difficult to tell I know, but if it doesn't mind stroking, perhaps it is hurting when you pick it up. We have resorted to gloves in the past, then putting the hamster on laps etc to run around, then finally daring to try bare hands.
Good Luck.

nellie245 Tue 16-May-06 14:14:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsBigD Tue 16-May-06 14:27:40

maturer, we are new hamster owners, well actually got them for dd and ds but they're too young to safely handle them on their own. One is relatively tame and the other doesn't want to know. However, the tame one does defo not like me... we think it's my scent, because the one day I still had some teatree stink on me after applying cream to ds the little blighter (hamster not ds) didn't run off and didn't bite me!

Such fickle creatures aren't they LOL

maturer Wed 17-May-06 17:45:46

Thanks everyone for all your words of wisdom. At least I know iut's not me...they are all different and we obviously struck very lucky with the first one who was hand trained in a few days!
Have shown the replies to my DD (who thibks it's a lost cause and was really disapointed...now at least she will keep going and we'll try a little step at a time).

Hermit... I even thought of the glove thing but wasn't sure if I was going a bit ott! Might try it now.

DD loves the hamster website......got me making all the toys. Thanks again. I'll let you know if we have a handling break through so to speak!

LIZS Wed 17-May-06 17:49:42

Is this one female, they can be more vicious ?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: