Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

snakes

(6 Posts)
bigdonna Fri 23-Sep-11 12:29:22

hi my 14 yr old son keeps bugging me for asnake anyone got any experience of them

Esian Sat 24-Sep-11 00:49:16

My DB bought a corn snake for his 11 yr old DD. It eats a frozen mouse (yuck) once a week, and is about 20cm long. It doesn't seem to require massive amounts of care, and is quite happy being handled by people.

bigdonna Sat 24-Sep-11 10:20:16

thankyou esian i am still considering it but thanks for the advice

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Thu 06-Oct-11 18:53:20

Apologies for the late reply.

I bought ds a corn snake for his 10th birthday. It's absolutely brilliant.

They are very low maintenance but there are things you need to consider. They need to live in a fairly quiet space - so not in you living room or in a noisy child's bedroom. Ds's lives in the spare room.

Be careful wrt choosing a vivarium - the chap I got ds's snake from despaired when I told him what enclosure I'd bought for him to live in (on a petshop's recommendation) - they are excellent escape artists. He let me have a more suitable home, with a view to moving him into the one I'd got when he was bigger, which I did. And within a fortnight he'd gone AWOL - he was lost in ds's room for an entire week which was awful.

I need to keep this fairly brief sorry as am in a bit of a rush, but do feel free to ask if you have any questions (message me if I don't get back to you!)

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Thu 06-Oct-11 19:01:48

Here's a thread I posted on back last year smile

cakeistheanswer Sat 15-Oct-11 22:43:09

Sorry OP - only just seen this thread, but felt compelled to post as corn snakes are just fab!

Ours is just over 3 yrs old now (had him as a hatchling) and he's the perfect pet! He's probably about 5ft long (haven't measured him for ages), which sounds huge, but he doesn't actually seem that long. Really hard to explain, but I'm sure other owners will know what I mean.

He's gentle, affectionate, very sociable, sometimes cheeky and playful - really no trouble at all! He eats once a fortnight (was once a week when he was young and growing fast) and poos twice in the days following feeding. Here's the best bit - he hates pooing in his vivarium, so will wait until we get him out. It's easy to tell if he needs a poo when he's out, cos he gets a big bulge by his bum. Just hold him over an old newspaper to do it ( I wipe his bottom with a tissue afterwards - aah) then wrap and put in the bin. (The pooey paper, not the snake.) This is great cos it means that we hardly ever have to clean out his viv

He sleeps all day while DCs are at school, then comes out for a cuddle most evenings. He loves screens of any type (maybe the flickering images just fascinate him) and will happily sit on anyone's lap and watch telly, or a laptop, iphone, whatever. He loves a game of 'knock whatever you put on the arm of the sofa onto the floor' and will play this ad infinitum.

He's happy to be left for a weekend if we're away.

He's the easiest pet ever. You need to be prepared for an initial largish financial outlay to get a snake properly set up, but after that the 'running costs' are fairly minimal, and the payback is huge!

I'm a fan, could you tell? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now