Talk

Advanced search

Old cat (19) howling at night.

(5 Posts)
mulranno Sat 10-Sep-11 10:27:48

Our cat has been howling at night for the past few years - now it is every night and many times during the night which wakes us all up. she seems to be disorientated then we comfort her but it starts again in 10 mins - driving us all nuts

alibubbles Sat 10-Sep-11 12:45:01

Try either a Feliway diffuser or Bioforce Highly strung rescue drops in her water. It works for our distressed bereaved elderly Burmese who lost both his sons within a month of each other ( 14 years old) and recently a new Burmese kitten sad that had helped stop the loneliness.

mulranno Mon 12-Sep-11 14:03:08

thanks alibubbles will give it a go -- although she has another companion so it is not "loss" she seems to be in a trance and cant hear us if we call - she used to do this at one part of the house only - all a bit bizarre.

echt Sun 25-Sep-11 23:24:46

My cat has started doing this. He's 18 and stone deaf, he just sits in the laundry where he sleeps, yowling at the top of his lungs. Then he goes out, sits on next door's roof and does it again. Cue much semaphoring to attract his attention, then he rushes in.

he's fine in every other respect.

No explanation, I'm afraid.

charliebear100 Tue 27-Sep-11 18:35:02

Hi,

Not sure if I can help here but i'm a vet and see this scenario relatively often.

Cats can develop issues with 'senility' like older people. It may also be linked to vision loss and hearing loss. I would recommend a feliway diffuser in this situation.

It might be worth getting her checked over as well. Occasionally problems such as an overactive thyroid and liver problems can cause these symptoms but they usually have other signs as well. Thyroid diseases can be (relatively) easily treated and may improve the situation. The vet could check vision and hearing too.

Good luck, I hope that the diffuser can help you. It sounds like it could be old age though unfortunately.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now