Talk

Advanced search

My elderly cat may have had a fit, please advise

(3 Posts)
Bananaketchup Fri 09-Sep-11 12:29:13

My 18 year old cat has probably had a fit - rang 24 hour vet and that's what they think. It was like his front legs stopped working and he lay on his side looking very unwell, but after a minute could walk again and after 40 minutes seemed normal. The vet (over the phone) said it sounds like a fit, probably caused by a tumour, and he might have weeks or months. In reading another thread a poster mentioned liver infection causing a cat fits and retching - he did kind of retch for a bit this morning, like he had a fur ball but didn't cough one up. I am very reluctant to take him to the vet as it distresses him so much, and if these are potentially his last weeks I don't want that. But then if it could be an infection maybe I should? If any one can advise I'd be grateful, I know he's old and will be going one day soon but I really want to do the best for him now and not cause him distress sad

Lizcat Fri 09-Sep-11 13:19:47

There are several different causes of fitting in cats. Yes tumours would be at the top of the list in old cats, but are by no means the only cause. I would get your cat checked out even if she doesn't find it fun.

Bananaketchup Fri 09-Sep-11 16:17:59

Ok well scrap the part about retching - the furball has come up now. Think I need to ring the daytime vets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now