Talk

Advanced search

Introducing bathing to my young cockatiel

(6 Posts)
AmyStake Tue 02-Aug-11 14:58:03

I'm trying to introduce the concept of bathing to him. I've tried to very lightly mist him but he's made it clear he totally hates it so I've provided him with a plastic bird bath today on the outside of his cage.

He sat at the bottom of his cage looking at me like I've sellotaped a cat to it. He gave me the constant side eye and made it very clear that he wanted me to take it out, which I have! How can I get him used to it? Its either on his cage or not, there's not much gradual about it!

I've managed to introduce fruit and veg to him, he loves partial seedless grapes but he won't eat a whole one yet.. we're getting there though.

I'm just worried because it's blardy hot here smile

Thanks!

millimurphy Mon 08-Aug-11 18:21:23

If he is not scared of the fruit/veg, then you could try hanging up pieces of well soaked lettuce (or any veg with a big type leaf) in his cage and see if he gets a watering from that?

muddyangels123nomoreHPforme Mon 08-Aug-11 18:36:05

Just cut the veg./fruit up very small.
Most cockies love pomegranite & sweetcorn. Dandilions from the garden if not contaminated with weed killer/animal pee etc..
EMP - egg mix

More info. on parrotlinks & parrot link websites.

muddyangels123nomoreHPforme Mon 08-Aug-11 18:38:02

I have a sennie parrot, but used to own ( or was owned by a very sweet little cockie) grin

muddyangels123nomoreHPforme Mon 08-Aug-11 18:40:23

Sorry, forgot to say. Just fill a shallow dish with water & leave on the bottom of the cage during the day. ( take out at night as could drown as they are prone to night frights.)

millimurphy Tue 09-Aug-11 12:11:37

Depending on how tame he is - if he likes to sit on you and watch/help with what you do - try filling a shallow dish of water on the draining board and gently splashing your fingers in it. He may take interest and join in with you. This is how i introduced a couple of my parrots to water and they now love to bathe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now