Talk

Advanced search

urgent, guinea pig with cloudy eye and hay stuck in it..should i remove hay?

(15 Posts)
HauntedLittleLunatic Sun 19-Jun-11 10:19:44

Dd's distraught.

One of our guinea pigs has a blue grey cloudy eye. Obviously I shall take her to the vet. Presumably tomorrow will be soon enough. Do I remove the little piece of straw wedged near her tear duct or will I do more damage?

Do I need to ring vet for appointment? Never used a vet before...

clayre Sun 19-Jun-11 10:22:40

I would try and remove it, maybe with a bit of damp cotton wool but if piggie gets too distressed just leave it.

Even if you remove it still take to the vet tomorrow, just phone your local vet and explain they will see you.

HauntedLittleLunatic Sun 19-Jun-11 10:26:03

Ty. It is quite a coarse piece of hay. Will try now. Cool boiled water?

clayre Sun 19-Jun-11 10:27:40

Yeah maybe best, good luck!

HauntedLittleLunatic Sun 19-Jun-11 10:43:28

Hay out. Was quite long prob 4mm embedded under the eyelid.

Eye is a bit red -presumably blood shot underneath, but she seems fine in herself.

clayre Sun 19-Jun-11 11:29:16

Awww, She'll better for getting it out, one of mine is always getting hay stuck up her nose and it makes her sneeze, shes not keen on getting it removed tho!

HauntedLittleLunatic Sun 19-Jun-11 11:31:36

Just have to face a vets bill now...

clayre Sun 19-Jun-11 11:35:18

With 3 cats and 4 guineas vets bills are part of our weekly spend!

LooloosMummy Sun 19-Jun-11 11:39:16

if you put a warm wet tea bag on it there are antioxidents in the tea which make it feel more comfy until you get to the vets, also works with cats and people! just hold it against the eye for a couple of secs

HauntedLittleLunatic Sun 19-Jun-11 12:08:56

Nibbles seems happier now its out.

DTD2 OTOH is still distraught and checking every 10mins if it is still cloudy.

HauntedLittleLunatic Sun 19-Jun-11 18:39:19

Ok...stupid question, how do I get guinea pig to vet? Cardboard box with hay in?

clayre Sun 19-Jun-11 19:30:38

Yeah that would be fine, i just use the cats box!

HauntedLittleLunatic Sun 19-Jun-11 19:59:11

I could probably borrow the neighborous cats box if that would be better...but I assumed she would rather bury herself in hay

clayre Mon 20-Jun-11 16:45:30

How is she today?

HauntedLittleLunatic Mon 20-Jun-11 18:44:57

The eye seems a little clearer thanks. Just got back from vet. Given ab eye drops as a precaution but no significant damage. May scar but should clear.

Bit annoyed that I could have bought the Same eyesrops at pharmacist but pleasantly surprised how much vet cost in all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now