Talk

Advanced search

rabbits and chickens?

(5 Posts)
fireblademum Sat 14-May-11 11:55:15

i have 2 'free range' rabbits living the life of riley in a lovely secure part of the garden. i really fancy getting some chickens, probably just 2. I'd obviously need a chicken house but can they live together with the rabbits in a shared outdoor space? the rabbit garden is approx 8x4m with non toxic woodchip on the ground, and free draining.
so, will this run be suitable and will they get on with the (neutered male and female) rabbits?
thanks

mousymouse Sat 14-May-11 11:57:29

Both make nice roasts....
Sorry, very hungry atm smile

fireblademum Sat 28-May-11 19:27:53

has anyone got any experience of keeping rabbits and chooks?
(but yes they do make nice roasts - and pies....)

kingprawntikka Mon 30-May-11 19:26:22

There is a poster called babydubseverywhere who keeps rabbits and chickens together.

BabyDubsEverywhere Thu 09-Jun-11 17:27:40

Hello smile

I used to keep my two bunnies free range in my garden with three chickens. They were all quite happy together. The only real concern is the food, But i got round that by having a double rabbit hutch and only putting the rabbits food on the top deck, the chickens couldnt manoover well enough to get to it. I then only fed the chickens first thing and last thing. As in when they where in their small run (they all free ranged most the day) I would then scatter corn and seed, greens, fruit, all the things they could all have during the day. Seemed to work well enough. Had bouncy rabbits and egg laying chickens, the markrs of health hehe.

The only other worry is that chickens can catch some things from the rabbit droppings, but i only kept innoculated rabbits and chickens, and the eggs were for us so no law suits if the very unlikely worse were to happen :/

With everything rabbit related though i would say take it slowly. Short times together supervised increasing the time gradually, and always seperate for nights, you really dont want peckers vs kickers in an enclosed space if things were to kick off smile

Good luck, i miss my chickens sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: