Talk

Advanced search

New puppy - finding it hard!

(15 Posts)
JJ17 Wed 22-Dec-10 23:44:30

My ex-DH bought our DS2 a puppy for xmas (after much thought and with my agreement). He was 12 weeks old when he bought him and we have now had him about 10 days.

We love him but he is so much hard work! He is a cross JRT and Border Terrier, he is so sweet but is getting worse behaved the more he is with us.

It's like having a little baby in the house, I didn't realise. He's not going anywhere and we will get through this stage.

He keeps shitting and pissing in the house despite 2 big plays in the park a day and getting shoved out in the garden everytime he looks "sniffy".

We are doing something wrong I think.

We play with him a lot and give him lots of attention but he is very "barky" if we put him outside for a piss. In fact, he barks at everything, cars, people, huge dogs. He is not at all aggressive just very vocal and licky and jumpy uppy.

TheBrandyButterflyEffect Thu 23-Dec-10 18:15:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ItsMyTurn Mon 09-May-11 21:27:13

i have a new puppy adn am findign it hard too!! We have had her for four days only so i know it is really really early days. she is 9 weeks old and a Bichon/Yorkie x. She is absolutely gorgeous and we wll get through this diff stage. I am having a hard time with her sleeping at nights. She is hard to keep awake between 7=11pm so I try to play and tran and entertain her bu then she will just crash out and it seems cruel to wake her continuously when she is obviously tired. When I go to bed (about 1030-11) she whines and cries then settles down but wakes another two times at least during the nght. i don;t want to get up toher. She is in a crate as of today but I really dont know what to do as I keep beign told that she should ntot be expected to sleep through! I cannot wake up and take her to the garden during the night ................can I? Blimey so confusing!

SuperInjunction Mon 09-May-11 22:06:41

Message withdrawn

ItsMyTurn Mon 09-May-11 22:29:34

superinjunction - I know I should but I am an information junkie - the more info i get, the better placed i feel to make my decisions. Kind of liek a poll. I love my mutt already but jst wnat her and us happy.

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 10-May-11 12:02:57

Message withdrawn

ItsMyTurn Tue 10-May-11 12:43:38

shineon - am hoping so. I jsut didn;t expect to feel this guilt ridden every time I go out (school run, food shopping etc) I am not out for long - between 20 mins and 90mins max so far) I want to go to the beach today withmy son (we live 10mins wlk away) but ifeel that I cannot go because of leaving our puppy.

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 10-May-11 13:08:29

Message withdrawn

ItsMyTurn Tue 10-May-11 21:31:25

shineon - for some reason I am finding this experiecne of early puppyhood so overwhelming and emotionally draining. Maybe I am taking it too seriously. I feel completely anxious and stressed. I know that this can be normal but it feels horrid! I love our little pup. She is the most gorgeous, funny, loving little bundle but why am i feeling like I have PND?! I didn't suffer with either of my two dc's!? I feel like I hae made a terrible mistake but the thought of letting her go horrifies me as she is so dear confused. Am I making heavy weather of this? Is it really as bad as I have it in my mind? I don't know..... my dd and ai hve had a long discussion this ee about whether I am able to keep her and she is determined that Tilly must STAY! I feel ridiculously overwhelmed with love and horror in equal measure!!!

shockers Sat 25-Jun-11 15:13:58

I'm just reviving this thread because I feel exactly the same way as you ItsMyTurn. Our pup is about 12/13 weeks but was a stray so didn't stay with her Mum for as long as she should have. I have cried the last two days as her behaviour (which sounds just like your pup's) seems to be getting worse. I also come down to two poos, which she walks through, in her large crate every morning. She jumps up in our other dog's face all the time. He is very patient when she is calm and snuggles up with her, which I know she finds comforting.

I'm posting because I need you to tell me that things got easier... I'm not sure how much more stress I can handle... my jaw has just about locked confused

Eagerly awaiting reassurance!!

ItsMyTurn Mon 04-Jul-11 09:58:51

shockers - I am sorry to tell you but I rehomed our pup sad. I simply could not cope. It was causing me so much anxiety (still suffering now!). There is a great thread in 'Inthe Doghouse' where new puppy owners with pups about your age gather to discus their trials and tribulations. I still read it but don't post as I was rather lambasted for rehoming my pup on another thread. It is interesting though and there are many many people struggling and not enjoying it one bit. But they are all suppporting one another which you probably could do with! Hop over there - you will be fine I'm sure smile

solospud Thu 07-Jul-11 12:48:27

Did you have pets before children as having pets after children doesnt always work I have never had a home without pets so they all got used to one another. Please all I dont want to preach but children and animals dont always mix. Think about this would you rehome your child because of an animal NO so therefore THINK before you get a pet because you WILL always rehome your pet before your child! I have always been an animal lover and when the children came along they fitted in. Even to the point that when my first child came along I made sure I went into the garden to play with the dog before she met the baby WOW they had a brilliant relationship for 8 years . Be responsible on both sides, you cannot get a child that fits into your lifestyle but you can get a pet that does it is not always a dog or a cat it may mean a goldfish x

shockers Fri 08-Jul-11 20:48:27

Thank you for your reply, I'm sorry that things didn't work out for you sad.

I have always had pets, as a child, and in my own home, including a very lovely dog who is now 13. We went through the usual puppy stuff with him but this is different. I love this pup dearly and want it to work but I am feeling desperate, I'll admit.

I've just contacted the rescue centre we got her from, for some advice. I'm really hoping that we can work through things... I'm pretty sure a lot of her behaviours are because she wasn't with her Mum long enough, and then she was stuck in a kennel (the rescue centre are fab but they couldn't find a foster home for her).

I'm off to 'The Doghouse' now... thank you so much for replying!

kid Sun 31-Jul-11 11:55:19

shockers how's it been going?

I had a 7 week old puppy who was a total nightmare at times. Around 6 months old, he really settled and I felt much happier with him. Sadly, he died just over a month later which is another story altogether.

I got another pup who was 11 weeks old and he also had some typical puppy traits which drove me mad at times.
He also settled down really well. I don't remember how old he was when things got easier, but he is 14 months old next week and is an absolute darling smile

mercades1999 Mon 01-Aug-11 08:36:38

i have a dog called bella. (she is now 1 and a half years) and she was a very bad puppy she ran away all the time, and peed all over the house and didnt sleep at night!! but now she is fine!! if you are having trouble with peeig and pooping like i was try taking them out side every 30 min to go for a pee or poop.And the way i got bella to sleep at night was go on big walks and play with her now and then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now