Talk

Advanced search

Should I get a cockateil or are they noisy buggers?

(12 Posts)
c0rns1lk Tue 30-Nov-10 09:04:09

website says they're quietest bird, sociable etc etc
Is this bollocks? I'm tempted

Ooopsadaisy Tue 30-Nov-10 09:10:22

Noisy buggers. Don't go there. MIL has one and she's welcome to it.

It imitates the ring of the phone and she is partly deaf so can't tell the difference and answers the phone about a million times a day.

What a waste of a life!

c0rns1lk Tue 30-Nov-10 09:16:27

oh dear! ds1 is smitten...

Ooopsadaisy Tue 30-Nov-10 09:22:26

In that case I would house it in DS1's room and make it his responsibilty.

Then sound proof the room and move out.

Sorry but I really don't like them.

Obviously it is none of my business - perhaps you need to wait for a more positive response for balance???!!!!

wannaBe Tue 30-Nov-10 09:29:54

I had coccatiels as a child.

They can be noisy (like any bird tbh) but if tame they make lovely pets.

I would let him have one.

But then I have a budgie and an african grey parrot and you don't get much noisier than that. wink

Summersoon Tue 30-Nov-10 09:43:31

I had one as a child (which is a long time ago grin) From what I recall they are very sociable and like attention and, if they don't get it, they will make themselves heard. Mine was very, very tame and thus a very good pet. I don't think that they are as noisy as parrots, not do they sing/chirp as constantly as budgies or canaries but when they do have some to say, they say it more loudly - if that makes sense. HTH.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 30-Nov-10 09:45:40

God no they are hideous vile creatures.

Well, not really, but they do squawk all the day long.

My gran had them when i was a child.

Actually, looking back they were probably shrieking because they were sent mad being shoved in a small cage. Don't actually like birds in cages - they are OK in an aviary outside.

My gran taught our cockatiel to say 'bollocks', btw. Took years.

sparkle101 Tue 30-Nov-10 12:03:06

We got a hand reared coakatiel for DH 30th.

He was very noisy - squawked for all daylight hours - if he could hear the floorboards before we git downstairs he would shout until we turned up. If you were in the same room and was not paying attention to him he would shout until you paid him attention. He was also quite messy as when he got excited or scared he would flap his wings which meant all his feathers and millet went on the floor.

Unfortunately when my DD arrived we had to rehome him as he was keeping her awake. He went to an aviary to live with other cockatiels. We go and see him and he is a lot happier and a bit more 'birdish' if that makes any sense! They are definately happier with other birds. They have constant companionship, whereas we couldn't give him the 24/7 attention he needed.

In retrospect we hadn't researched cockatiels anywhere near enough. It is a much bigger undertaking than a budgie or canary. Cockatiels also live to 20 years so it is a very big commitment.

tippytumbles Tue 30-Nov-10 12:42:40

I used to have a female cockatiel, she was silly tame and a great pet (no noisier than my budgies were but much much more fun). I'd say let your DS have one.

Eleison Tue 30-Nov-10 12:49:52

We got one in July, so he is still a youngster. He is handreared so very tame. We love him. He is so perky and curious and affectionate. The key thing is that you have to think of the amount of attention they need as being something like what a dog might need -- they need lots of social input and some exercise. Ours does call when we leave the room, but (so far!) it hasn't become an entrenched or annoying habit. I work at hoime during the day and bring the cage into my work room o he has plenty of companionship. And I let him out for a fly about, or to perch on my shoulder and annoy me, several times a day.

Unless things change as he gets older (I am a bit apprehensive about what changess might occur as he reaches sexual maturity), he is a lovable pet. The biggest prbolem is the mess. You need to buy a mini-hoover and keep it by the cage.

c0rns1lk Tue 30-Nov-10 13:42:06

there's a silly tame one advertised near to me...

millimurphy Sat 11-Dec-10 07:19:29

Your other post states you are now after a cockatoo?! A pretty big leap from a cockatiel. Cckatiels can make lovely tame pets, but you have to put the work, time and committment in to get and keep them like this. All birds can be noisy - it depends on the individual. If you are worried about noise a bird is perhaps not the best choice of pet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now