Talk

Advanced search

Please consider posting this petition on Linked In

(18 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Mouthtrousersafrocknowandthen Tue 13-Mar-18 21:50:43

lnkd.in/gFBTzAq
Consult with women on proposals to enshrine 'gender identity' in law

Post it on Linked In. There is nothing controversial in the header. Nothing phobic or bigoted. Women asking to be listened to. I work in HR, I am not afraid of the reaction. Women in the workplace should be asked their views.

Legislation should be created for all of and by all of us. Asking for that is not a hate crime. There nothing to be afraid of. Your employer will not fire you for flexing your democratic muscle.
It would make a fantastic case if they tried and you would have our support.

KateAdiesEarrings Tue 13-Mar-18 21:54:04

Why are you asking us to post it on LinkedIn in particular? I feel like I have missed something.

Mouthtrousersafrocknowandthen Tue 13-Mar-18 22:03:56

Speed up the signatures, make it more mainstream, get it out into the public domain, make more men read it, normalise it. Break out of the echo chamber.

At 100,000 signatures...
At 100,000 signatures, this petition will be considered for debate in Parliament
I have several hundred professional followers on Linked In, i'm not really an FB or twitter person. If you have a professional following in business this has an impact. All businesses will have to go to law to maintain sex segregation if needed or wanted. This legislation makes NO SEGREGATION the default position in law.

KateAdiesEarrings Tue 13-Mar-18 22:21:17

I've been campaigning around this for over a year. I understand the issue. I just didn't understand your preference for LinkedIn. Now I see it's because it's your preferred social media platform; you think it lends it more legitimacy and you think members would make the link to HR issues.
I'm not sure you're correct that no-one could be fired, posting a political petition would breach some people's employment contracts.
Good luck with your post on LinkedIn.

Mouthtrousersafrocknowandthen Wed 14-Mar-18 00:09:35

I'm not sure you're correct that no-one could be fired, posting a political petition would breach some people's employment contracts.

This is free country. Please read the Human Rights:

Freedom of thought, conscience and religion
1Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief, in worship, teaching, practice and observance.
2Freedom to manifest one’s religion or beliefs shall be subject only to such limitations as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society in the interests of public safety, for the protection of public order, health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.
Article 10
Freedom of expression
1Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This Article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting, television or cinema enterprises.
2The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence, or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary.
Article 11
Freedom of assembly and association
1Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and to freedom of association with others, including the right to form and to join trade unions for the protection of his interests.
2No restrictions shall be placed on the exercise of these rights other than such as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others. This Article shall not prevent the imposition of lawful restrictions on the exercise of these rights by members of the armed forces, of the police or of the administration of the State.

Mouthtrousersafrocknowandthen Wed 14-Mar-18 00:15:22

Employers cannot restrict your human rights.
Company law and employment law is subservient to human rights. Companies are not states or or law enforcers, they have no right to set contract rules that restrict your human rights. They don't even try to do that. Contracts of employment are written very carefully to avoid these infringements.

AreYouTerfEnough Wed 14-Mar-18 09:42:19

Human Rights is an illusion.

See what has happened to posie? Interviewed by the police under caution and prevented from leaving the country over an innocuous tweet which merely points out biological facts.

I think you may be trying to lead others into trouble by getting them to post this on LinkedIn hmm

swivelchair Wed 14-Mar-18 09:52:45

LinkedIn is a bizarre choice - mine is full of recruitment consultants and the occasional old colleague, I can't actually see that it's the right place to post UK government petitions - I have no personal relationship with almost anyone I have on linked in. In general, I'm trying not to draw attention to the fact that I'm a woman at work, because it shouldn't matter (yes, I realise all research says it does, and there's no hiding it, but ideally)

Given TRA's habit of harrassing the employers of women who express even slightly gender-critical opinions, I think it would not only be a weird personal/work cross over, but also likely to result in abuse, so no. Happy to share on personal social media, but I'm going to keep it out of my professional life (and stick to opinions on whether brackets go on the same, or the next line, and how many spaces a tab should be - cos that's how developers roll)

AreYouTerfEnough Wed 14-Mar-18 10:01:26

I think the TRAs would love us to pin our colours to the mast via websites linked to our professions wink

KateAdiesEarrings Wed 14-Mar-18 10:02:49

I think you may be trying to lead others into trouble by getting them to post this on LinkedIn

AreYouTerfEnough yy that was my feeling too. Lots of people have employment contract clauses about not bringing their organisation into disrepute and about not expressing a political opinion in public. LinkedIn is the exact place where public and private and employment all converge. The contacts are often related to your role/post so you're ostensibly representing your organisation.
I'm sure if the OP posts the petition on their LinkedIn, we will all hear about it or see it soon enough. But I have a funny feeling they won't be posting it on LinkedIn either.

AreYouTerfEnough Wed 14-Mar-18 11:10:41

Indeed Kate

They must think we’re daft grin

KateAdiesEarrings Wed 14-Mar-18 11:48:02

It's also an odd format for the link. hmm

SophieLMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 14-Mar-18 12:38:52

Hi all,

We're just moving this over to our Petitions topic.

Mouthtrousersafrocknowandthen Fri 16-Mar-18 14:38:53

@AreYouTerfEnough
@KateAdiesEarrings
@swivelchair

Really rather peterbed that you all three decided that's what I was doing and decided to post it on here! Thanks! I spoke at length and openly to a local paper journalist yesterday about the SexMatters campaign and will be emailing her photos of me to use in the feature. Wednesday night I attended the Houce of Commons and arrived early to support Venice Allen in the filming of Sunday Politics, I was with the group filmed. So I am out there in full view on this.

The petition is asking for women to be included in the gender recognition act debate? The act will define women as a gender so why would women asking for women to be included in the debate be a reason for dismissal?

swivelchair Fri 16-Mar-18 15:11:47

The petition is asking for women to be included in the gender recognition act debate? The act will define women as a gender so why would women asking for women to be included in the debate be a reason for dismissal?

Less that it's a reason for dismissal (I'm not even in the UK, so that's not a worry for me) - more that I generally keep politics out of work unless it's directly related (eg. if I was involved in kitting out a new office I would make my opinions on sex-segregated toilets clear) - most people I know do - just like I keep my LinkedIn separate from my Facebook.

AreYouTerfEnough Fri 16-Mar-18 15:47:42

Less that it's a reason for dismissal (I'm not even in the UK, so that's not a worry for me)

Well this is nice for you then, but many of have jobs where our views would be frowned upon and we might find ourselves in hot water if we did something like this.

You don’t post political views on LinkdIn. Who would even think that’s okay?

Mouthtrousersafrocknowandthen Fri 16-Mar-18 16:54:14

Well I just checked my feed and there's lots of activism going on. Gender is every 5th post. The Government mandated gender pay gap reporting is due by the end this month, its massive in HR.

So many of my connections are posting on that subject. To me I don't see any issue petitioning about who are going in the genders we are reporting on. Any way as you say that's nice for me. I work in HR, we are just the nasty people that sack everyone based on our own nasty views. I'm not here sticking my head over the parapet trying to say this is terrible for employees, nope , I am a secret TRA trying to get people fired.

KateAdiesEarrings Fri 16-Mar-18 17:53:59

There are lots of threads about the petition. I don't understand why you're being defensive rather than reflective.
Urging caution on an action that could impact someone's livelihood is common sense.
But as I said upthread, if you're sharing the petition on LinkedIn and speaking to your local newspaper and are close to the people you've mentioned then your actions will be shared through those channels.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: