Talk

Advanced search

To ask why so few people have signed this petition

(39 Posts)
OliviaPopeRules Mon 16-Oct-17 18:41:48

Apologies if this has already been posted but it really important for many reasons (especially for the provision of woman services, to record abuse against woman and the gender pay gap), please sign;

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/202435

TabbyMumz Mon 16-Oct-17 18:43:27

Didn't think you were allowed to canvass on mumsnet?

OliviaPopeRules Mon 16-Oct-17 18:47:41

Not sure but people discuss politics and who they support all the time so not sure why that would be.
Pretty poor show if you can't highlight an issue that impacts women greatly on MN.
I

LivingInLaLaLand Tue 17-Oct-17 11:15:30

In your opinionhmm

No thanks, stick your petition where the Sun don't shine

AuntyElle Tue 17-Oct-17 11:23:13

I've signed. It's really important.
Biological sex is vital in providing health services if nothing else.

(And as there's a Petitions and Activism board then it's definitely OK to post.)

DaisysStew Tue 17-Oct-17 11:27:33

I wasn't aware that there was a petition for this. Signed.

barnacharmer Tue 17-Oct-17 11:36:56

Signed. So important

Babymamaroon Tue 17-Oct-17 11:40:03

Signed!

sarahjconnor Tue 17-Oct-17 11:43:03

signed.

Why are the first few posters so often antagonistic on threads - do some people sit waiting for new threads to come up so they can dive in first with the negative comment? If you disagree with the petition please can you explain why you feel it's important for biological sex to be left off the census? Thanks

GrandmaSuckingEggs Tue 17-Oct-17 11:45:28

signed, thanks OP

2014newme Tue 17-Oct-17 11:46:21

I don't get how this helps in assessing the gender pay gap? Nor the other things

LivingInLaLaLand Tue 17-Oct-17 11:49:49

I think it's just unnecessary & I disagree with petitions on here unless in the right section. I don't mean remove the sexual orientation bit, I can't see most people refusing to answer it as it stands, but I do have several transgender friends & friends with transgender DCs who were clearly born into the wrong biological sex & this just smacks of bigotry towards them imho

2014newme Tue 17-Oct-17 11:50:27

Also the government already know how many males and females are born each year and how many emigrate and immigrate so they do already have the data tbh.

2014newme Tue 17-Oct-17 11:51:08

You can't be born the wrong sex! You can not like your sex but you can't be born 'wrong'

ArcheryAnnie Tue 17-Oct-17 11:51:49

I'd already signed this one - it's so important.

The idea that it's worth having a census at all without noting the biological sex of the people completing it is nonsense.

Take this firther: as ridiculous as it sounds, there are people who identify as transage - eg that weirdo in Canada who identifies as a six-year-old-girl (and gets validation, articles, thanks in Parliament about it) rather than the deadbeat dad in his fifties that he is. So should the census also leave off asking people how old they are? Because that would make school planning provision really easy, no?

LivingInLaLaLand Tue 17-Oct-17 11:53:42

You can't be born the wrong sex! You can not like your sex but you can't be born 'wrong

Bollocks, real show of ignorance right there hmm

ArcheryAnnie Tue 17-Oct-17 11:54:44

this just smacks of bigotry towards them imho

@LivingInLaLaland where is the bigotry? Genuine question.

Someone with a male body, even if they identify as female, will still need medical resources targeted at male bodies for their entire lifetimes, including things like prostate cancer checks.

Same for people with female bodies, even those who identify as men or as nonbinary people.

Noting the biological sex of people in the census isn't done as a whim. It's there for a purpose.

LapdanceShoeshine Tue 17-Oct-17 11:55:22

Sex should be a mandatory question, but there with more than 2 options (some countries now offer X on passports)

It's impossible to know currently how many people are identifying as non-binary - the census is the obvious way to get the numbers.

Evelynismyspyname Tue 17-Oct-17 11:57:18

"gender" pay gap has become the wrong word hasn't it? That's almost the point... The highest paid "female" CEO in America is a man, for example.

The "gender" pay gap is less and less accurately regarded as interchangeable with the pay gap between those born male and those born . There need to be statistics on both the gender pay gap and the gap between the sexes, because men who transition after reaching the top of male dominated fields totally scew the statistics.

Evelynismyspyname Tue 17-Oct-17 11:59:20

Sorry missed out the word female in my post (ironically) - the gap between those born male and those born female is not the same as the gap between those identifying as male or female.

2014newme Tue 17-Oct-17 11:59:20

It's true. You can't be born the wrong sex. You can only have a preference for being a different sex. It's like saying you were born with the wrong girl eye colour or hair colour. Not possible sorry!

AuntyElle Tue 17-Oct-17 12:00:28

But Lapdance, that would be a separate category of 'gender'.
Sex is biological and non-negotiable, gender you can accept/reject.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 17-Oct-17 12:00:32

Sex need to be a mandatory question for all sorts of really obvious reasons.

There is nothing to prevent an additional question of "what gender do you identify as?". (Although it would need to be an open question, not tick box, to allow for the infinite variety)

2014newme Tue 17-Oct-17 12:01:48

This gender nonsense drive me mad. Cut your dick off if you want it doesn't make you female

ArcheryAnnie Tue 17-Oct-17 12:11:32

It's impossible to know currently how many people are identifying as non-binary

Lapdance but there isn't an accepted definition of what nonbinary is (I'm nonbinary, and so are most of the women I know - but a trans activist might dispute that). It's difficult to get useful data from a question if everybody is taking a different approach to what the question is asking for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now