Talk

Advanced search

Periods - Please help. This is wrong!

(60 Posts)
annhar79 Tue 11-Apr-17 16:40:00

Hi All,

Today, I heard about a 13yr old girl who ended up in hospital because she used socks instead of pads when on her period - she couldn't afford sanitary products. This is not acceptable in the UK, but it's happening and it's happening in 2017.

Please can you sign this petition to eradicate period poverty from schools. Sanitary provision is NOT a luxury, and periods are not a choice.

It's just totally, totally wrong!!! Girls should have to choose between their education and their period.

This petition to provide free sanitary products to girls from low income families was started by a 17yr old girl.

Link: www.change.org/p/theresa-may-mp-free-sanitary-products-for-girls-on-free-school-meals-freeperiods

We should support her will to help other schoolgirls! It only takes 15 seconds to sign, I know because I just did it.

Please share so we can change this appalling situation. As a mum of three teenagers, I feel really moved to help. I hope you do too

User7654 Tue 11-Apr-17 16:50:59

Signed. Agree with you completely. Thanks for sharing smile

annhar79 Tue 11-Apr-17 16:55:38

Thanks for signing. Please share with friends and family. I have.

I can't believe that we are living in a society where we watch this happen to girls we should be protecting.

ShelaghTurner Tue 11-Apr-17 16:56:51

Signed and shared. Totally agree.

annhar79 Tue 11-Apr-17 17:08:58

Thank you so much for signing and sharing! I think as parents, we have to get this changed.

Our society doesn't make it easy to talk about periods, so I can only imagine lots of girls aren't telling people it's happening to them.

Hesdeadjim Tue 11-Apr-17 17:17:22

I've signed, but how did using a sock instead of a pad land her in hospital?

annhar79 Tue 11-Apr-17 17:23:34

Well, I can only imagine it's because of bacteria. What a sad situation that comes from desperation.

Hesdeadjim Wed 12-Apr-17 10:33:20

But that makes no sense. A sock is no more bacteria infested than regular underwear, so there's no reason why wearing a sock inside your pants would be any more dangerous than wearing pants confused

It's an awful situation and a worthy cause, but I can't find a reference anywhere to a girl ending up in hospital as a result? It's a problem, because the message gets lost when there's inconsistencies like this.

NeverTooMuchCake Wed 12-Apr-17 12:06:54

I found this article in The Metro where they discuss this:
metro.co.uk/2017/03/19/girls-in-uk-are-using-socks-because-they-cant-afford-sanitary-towels-6519528/

I reckon if the sock is not changed, there's a risk of infection. If the sock is not clean, that's even worse.
I can't believe we are even discussing using socks in 21st century Britain.

Ollivander84 Wed 12-Apr-17 12:15:23

What I don't get is why, when a pack of pads can be as little as 25p
At work we have a box and I chuck in pads, liners and tampons and people can help themselves. They either leave a donation or bring some in to top it up

ShelaghTurner Wed 12-Apr-17 12:36:36

Supposing that girl doesn't have 25p?

I'm friends with a now 20yo. Her family is dysfunctional to say the least. When she was 17 she very timidly asked me if I would lend her £2 as she was on her period and had no money for pads. Her mother took any money she had. Needless to say I gave her more than the £2 and made sure she always to come to me if she needed to. She's working and earning now but I'll never forget the scared little message she sent me.

Hesdeadjim Wed 12-Apr-17 12:42:08

I used to work with families in abject poverty so I understand that, it's the hospital bit for me.

Ollivander84 Wed 12-Apr-17 12:42:39

No I get that but if a family doesn't have 25p then there's bigger issues than just sorting free pads. I'm not phrasing this very well, sorry!

ShelaghTurner Wed 12-Apr-17 12:46:09

I think it's not so much that the family might not have the money as they might not give the girl the money. Some people have screwed priorities. Oh never know what goes on in families.

But yes agree that if the family doesn't have the money then there's a real problem.

Octopus37 Wed 12-Apr-17 12:46:17

Signed, agree it is so important

Hesdeadjim Wed 12-Apr-17 12:46:23

NeverTooMuchCake that article doesn't mention going to hospital though.

I agree it's a disgusting situation, but even if they got a UTI from using a sock it would have to have been ignored for weeks and weeks to cause a hospital admission, and even then you couldn't accurately and definitively say the uti came from the sock.

You're far more likely to get a UTI from using public toilets at school.

TitaniasCloset Wed 12-Apr-17 12:47:41

Where on earth can you buy pads and tampons for 25p? Not in my local shops.

JillJ72 Wed 12-Apr-17 13:32:59

Signed and FB shared. I hope this helps make a difference.

BreakfastAtTiffanys1983 Wed 12-Apr-17 16:53:52

I've signed and shared this petition. Thanks for sharing. It's definitely worth doing.

TitaniasCloset Wed 12-Apr-17 18:10:37

Signed and shared.

FlyingSquid Wed 12-Apr-17 18:17:25

Maybe the child couldn't afford to get to a shop selling them for 25p. It would cost my kids £6:50 in bus fare to reach the nearest Tesco or Aldi. So, local extortionate corner-shop it is, and you'd be paying about £2 a packet there.

WalkWithTheWomen Thu 13-Apr-17 06:42:24

I've never seen a pack of pads for 25p either. I suppose for some families, when every penny is budgeted towards something essential, even spending pennies on pads is beyond what they can afford.

I know.

I've signed and shared with everyone.

skerrywind Thu 13-Apr-17 06:55:29

I have signed.

I regularly buy Tesco 25p pads however,. Just right for me.

www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=258279522

SunsetsAndChampers Thu 13-Apr-17 09:23:48

25p doesn't sound like much when you have it.
@FlyingSquid. you make a good point about travel costs.
Thanks for the link to the pads. I might try switching to these.

signed, shared too

user1492451808 Mon 17-Apr-17 19:02:02

I've signed and shared this too. Good thing that someone's trying to change this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now