Talk

Advanced search

Sign and share petition for children's mental health education in schools

(4 Posts)
ChildMentalHealthisIMPORTANT Mon 06-Feb-17 10:38:55

Please sign and share this petition to make mental health education compulsory in schools at both primary and secondary levels. We need to educate and empower our children BEFORE problems develop. They need to learn that looking after their minds is just as important as looking after their bodies.

Mental health education is still not part of the UK curriculum despite consistently high rates of child and adolescent mental health issues. By educating young people about mental health in schools, we can increase awareness and hope to encourage open and honest discussion among young people.

1 in 10 children and young people aged 5 - 16 suffer from a diagnosable mental health disorder - around three children in every class.

There has been a large increase in the number of young people being admitted to hospital because of self harm. Over the last ten years this figure has increased by 68%.

More than half of all adults with mental health problems were diagnosed in childhood. Less than half were treated appropriately at the time.

We can help change this. Please sign and share this petition to make mental health education compulsory in primary and secondary schools.

Source: YoungMinds

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 06-Feb-17 10:43:29

Hi OP flowers

We're just moving this over to our petitions noticeboard.

ChildMentalHealthisIMPORTANT Mon 06-Feb-17 10:49:46

Thanks for letting me know, Lorna. I posted it on the petitions notice board on Friday, but it seems to have passed under people's radars. Any suggestions as to how can I share information about this in an appropriate way?

ChildMentalHealthisIMPORTANT Mon 06-Feb-17 19:27:19

Bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now