Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to share a petition to remove Phillip Davies from the 'Women and Equalities' Commision

(34 Posts)
GardenGeek Sat 17-Dec-16 00:28:43

We all knew it was a bad appointment a couple of days ago.

'Bad' being an understatement.

Hes a misogynist mens activist; who sees any advance for women rights as a regress for mens rights.

Today he spent c. 80 minutes filibustering in the house to stop a bill which aimed to protect women from Domestic Violence.

As someone so eloquently put it on the Change.org comment section...
"His appointment is an insult to half the population. Remove him."

Please sign and share... www.change.org/p/theresa-may-mp-remove-men-s-rights-activist-philip-davies-mp-from-women-and-equalities-committee

We are 50% of this union, and we wont stand for this.
If someone wants to set up a Parliament Petition, please do. Right now I am so angry I don't think I could eloquently do the petition any justice by starting it myself.

WorraLiberty Sat 17-Dec-16 00:32:19

If someone wants to set up a Parliament Petition, please do. Right now I am so angry I don't think I could eloquently do the petition any justice by starting it myself.

That's a bit lazy to expect someone else to do it for you.

I get that you're angry, but why not calm down, take a deep breath and do it yourself?

JenLindleyShitMom Sat 17-Dec-16 00:34:54

I've signed.

GardenGeek Sat 17-Dec-16 00:39:38

Worra
You only get one petition per subject. So I feel a bit anxious about setting it up and ruining that opportunity for us when I am sure there is a woman out there who would write it better. Maybe not on MN, but I am sure there will be a petition in short time.

I doubt I could start it with Hes a misogynist mens activist grin
Which he is, but I think I may need some better phrasing than that.

GardenGeek Sat 17-Dec-16 00:39:58

Woo, go Jen

QueenArseClangers Sat 17-Dec-16 00:42:32

He's an absolute fucking cunt.
I'll sign OP.

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 17-Dec-16 00:53:05

Signed. He's astoundingly shit.

GardenGeek Sat 17-Dec-16 01:13:36

Haha Queen & Mrs - very well put grin

Wow, 52 people have signed in the last hour.
I think this will reach the target by morning,
the bigger the better though.

JenLindleyShitMom Sat 17-Dec-16 01:30:23

I've shared on FB too.

ReallyTired Sat 17-Dec-16 01:37:35

No, I think the male voice needs to be heard. You might not agree with him, but equality should not be purely a woman's issue. There are times when men do face sex discrimination. Equality is a wider topic than the rights of women.

I actually think a traditional mp might bring some common sense to the committee. For example I would like to ask him what he thinks about trans people potentially dominating women's sport.

Ohdearducks Sat 17-Dec-16 01:41:03

I've signed. What a nasty little fucknugget, I hope he falls off a cliff.

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 17-Dec-16 01:43:45

I have no issue with a male voice being heard. I have an issue with a very clearly anti-woman voice being on a women and equalities committee.

Ohdearducks Sat 17-Dec-16 01:44:08

It's not the fact that he's a male it's the fact that he's a cunt who hates women.
A male that doesn't hate women, I'd have no problem with.

JenLindleyShitMom Sat 17-Dec-16 01:53:29

No, I think the male voice needs to be heard.

That's not the male voice.

kerryob Sat 17-Dec-16 02:04:07

Thanks for posting this, have signed & shared on FB

ohfourfoxache Sat 17-Dec-16 08:14:26

Signed

MrsBungle Sat 17-Dec-16 08:19:13

Signed and shared.

glenthebattleostrich Sat 17-Dec-16 08:28:24

Can we also remove the bloody awful Maria Miller too?

GraceGrape Sat 17-Dec-16 08:32:18

Signed. And just to clarify, the Istanbul Convention, which he was attempting to filibuster against, is clearly worded to encompass all victims of domestic violence, not just female, so all this stuff about "a male voice" is nonsense.

HermioneWoozle Sat 17-Dec-16 08:35:11

Can someone perhaps say a bit more about who he is and why his appointment is a bad idea on this thread?

I'm afraid I don't know him from Adam.

QueenoftheAndals Sat 17-Dec-16 08:39:20

This should give you some idea Hermione
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/dec/16/philip-davies-anti-feminist-tory-mp-filibuster-women-violence-bill

HermioneWoozle Sat 17-Dec-16 08:42:36

Having read the information in the link, I think it might be a good idea for him to be on the committee, to flush out some of the ridiculous ideas that women come up against. He sounds an utter buffoon and not a real threat to anything or anyone other than his own mental and physical health. Let him be on the committee and have his views scruitinised in a more mainstream light, and let him have his arse handed to him and end his political career, insomuchas he has one.

KathArtic Sat 17-Dec-16 08:51:42

Signed.

2500 signatures in 2 hours isn't bad!

Omnomberry Sat 17-Dec-16 09:11:13

Signed he makes me so angry, not just on women's issues but someone on a equalities committees who seems to hate people with disabilities (filibustered the free parking for caters at hospitals and thinks disabled people shouldn't be protected by the minimum wage hmm )

JennyHolzersGhost Sat 17-Dec-16 09:25:46

He stood unppposed. That's why he got onto the committee. If literally any other Tory MP had stood against him he wouldn't have got on. Why did no other MP stand?
You can't have the government go round removing MPs from the committees which are one of the main sources of executive oversight. It's anti democratic. Instead start a petition saying shame on every other Tory MP for not blocking this by standing themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now