April's Law

(6 Posts)
Ineverpromisedyouarosegarden Wed 02-Nov-16 18:00:09

Can I just bring this to everyone's attention in case you wish to sign

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/166711

DesignedForLife Wed 02-Nov-16 18:10:47

Signed

JellyBelli Wed 02-Nov-16 18:16:44

I thought the sex offenders register was for life unless they were subsequently found to be innocent? Its got enough signatures at least.

FruitCider Wed 02-Nov-16 18:20:54

No Jelly, there are different lengths of time people remain on the register.

Imprisonment for a fixed period of 30 months or more, imprisonment for an indefinite period, imprisonment for public protection, admission to hospital under restriction order, or subject to an Order for Lifelong Restriction: Indefinitely
▪Imprisonment for more than 6 months but less than 30 months: 10 years
▪Imprisonment for 6 months or less, or admission to hospital without restriction order: 7 years
▪Caution: 2 years
Conditional discharge or (in Scotland) a probation order: Period of discharge or probation
▪Any other: 5 years
Finite notification periods are halved if the person is under 18 when convicted or cautioned.
In April 2010 the United Kingdom Supreme Court ruled that indefinite notification requirements contained in section 82(1) of the 2003 Act were a breach of individual human rights as they were disproportionate.[4][5] As a result of this, appeals against indefinite inclusion within the register were introduced. Appeals can be made to the local police force by an offender after inclusion on the register for 15 years. If the local police force declines to remove the offender from the register, they may appeal to a magistrates' court.[6]

Sorry for the Wikipedia quote...

Ineverpromisedyouarosegarden Thu 03-Nov-16 07:36:29

Quite shocking really.

Ineverpromisedyouarosegarden Thu 03-Nov-16 21:34:14

I think her parents deserve this to get as far as a parliamentary debate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now