Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To Smoke Cigarettes In A Children's Playground?

(28 Posts)
Mammy2014 Sat 02-Jul-16 19:23:30

I sure think so! That's why I have started a petition so that it will be against the law to do so. If you support this, please have a read, sign and share! Thank you! "Mammy '14"

Here is my petition link!
petition.parliament.uk/petitions/134518

shazzarooney999 Sat 02-Jul-16 19:32:48

Our school dont allow smoking on the premises..

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 02-Jul-16 19:33:52

Hi ,

Thanks for the reports, we've moved this to our petitions topic now.

Mammy2014 Sat 02-Jul-16 20:02:36

Apologies. I didn't mean to post this in the wrong area.

Queensbelfastvcisasexistprat Sat 02-Jul-16 20:08:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Becky546 Sat 02-Jul-16 20:43:17

NoMudNoLotus Sat 02-Jul-16 20:47:41

Iv never seen anybody smoke in a playground in 6 years over going to one twice a day ....

RebelRogue Sat 02-Jul-16 20:51:21

No.love how u used the &story " for your petition. Not only have i not seen someone smoking in a playground,but i've never heard a smoker,myself included,ask for permission and then go ahead and do it anyways

Sirzy Sat 02-Jul-16 20:52:40

I don't appreciate having old messages trawled through and pms sent. I presume I am not the only one who has has a pm?

Mammy2014 Sat 02-Jul-16 20:53:55

Hi Becky546,
I can see how the phrasing of "near" is a bit unclear and I will try to rectify this. However, what I am saying is to ban it within the confines and directly on the fence ("near"). For example, if someone is standing outside the playground but facing in, that is still basically at the playground. I do think that if it could get banned IN a playground, more people would be less likely to smoke directly by one. I hope this clears some things up.

I generally feel that it is setting a very bad example. Interestingly, Paris banned smoking in playgrounds as the 'health minister, Marisol Touraine, said it was a "common-sense measure" designed "to respect our children.'

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11640711/France-bans-smoking-in-playgrounds.html

Mammy2014 Sat 02-Jul-16 20:54:47

Hi Sirzy,
I can only apologize and won't be doing that again. I had Googled the topic and found it interesting that there were like-minded folks like me and didn't realize it would be an issue. Again, I sincerely apologize if it upset you.

Mammy2014 Sat 02-Jul-16 20:55:19

NoMudNoLotus, that is really good, however I have seen it twice this month which is what prompted this.

RebelRogue Sat 02-Jul-16 20:55:40

Most playgrounds i've been to have a no smoking sign

PurpleDaisies Sat 02-Jul-16 20:55:58

I generally feel that it is setting a very bad example.

There are all sorts of things that set a bad example that aren't (and shouldn't be) illegal.

I'm a passionate non smoker. I don't think this law would make any difference to rates of smoking or rates of childhood disease.

KissMyArse Sat 02-Jul-16 20:59:20

I don't appreciate having old messages trawled through and pms sent. I presume I am not the only one who has has a pm?

shock

<nosey>

What kind of messages? Hopefully not unpleasant ones.

Mammy2014 Sat 02-Jul-16 21:02:29

RebelRogue, Well - it happens and it happened! If this is something you would not do, is this something that you find to be a reasonable petition?

Mammy2014 Sat 02-Jul-16 21:03:03

RebelRogue, that's really good about the signs. There are no signs where I live.

Mammy2014 Sat 02-Jul-16 21:04:04

KissMyArse, I sincerely apologize. I am new to mumsnet and did not realize. I genuinely thought it would be of interest and now that I know it is not, I will not be doing that again.

Mammy2014 Sat 02-Jul-16 21:05:17

PurpleDaisies, why do you not think it would make a difference? PARIS FRANCE DID IT! If I were to guess, that was likely a difficult place to do it. Here is the news article. If this changes your mind, I would really appreciate the support with the petition. www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11640711/France-bans-smoking-in-playgrounds.html

PurpleDaisies Sat 02-Jul-16 21:05:21

Not only have I not seen someone smoking in a playground,but I've never heard a smoker, myself included, ask for permission and then go ahead and do it anyways.

I made the same point on the thread that was deleted. I think you just ran into an arsehole mammy. This was not typical smoker behaviour-basing a petition on it seems an overreaction.

Mammy2014 Sat 02-Jul-16 21:06:38

To anyone who was offended by my private messaging you, I apologize. I genuinely felt that it would be of interest as there was a recent discussion a few weeks ago about this on Mumsnet. I will not be doing that again about this. Again, sorry.

Queensbelfastvcisasexistprat Sat 02-Jul-16 21:08:05

Mammy2014 Sat 02-Jul-16 21:11:05

PurpleDaisies, but what would the harm be of trying to ban smoking? I mean - do you think it is appropriate to smoke in playgrounds? If not, what is the harm? I just don't really seem to understand. I know you are agreeing with me, which is why I find it interesting and a bit confusing.

KissMyArse Sat 02-Jul-16 21:12:18

Mammy2014

Hiya - you didn't offend me (nor did you send me a message) I was just being nosey thinking you'd sent something rude to people grin

PurpleDaisies Sat 02-Jul-16 21:12:40

PurpleDaisies, why do you not think it would make a difference? PARIS FRANCE DID IT!

So what? All the evidence I've seen shows that if you're more than 2m away from a smoker your secondhand smoke exposure drops to background levels. I'm against making up new laws just for the sake of it.

Obviously I think people shouldn't smoke in playgrounds. I wish people wouldn't smoke at all, but I don't think a new law is the right way to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now